1. A defendant sentenced by the court to the custody of the director of the department of corrections for an offense punishable under section 902.9, subsection 1, may have the judgment and sentence entered under section 901.5 reopened for resentencing if the following apply:
a. The county attorney from the county which prosecuted the defendant files a motion to reopen the sentence of the defendant based upon the defendant's cooperation in the prosecution of other persons.
b. The court finds the defendant cooperated in the prosecution of other persons.
2. Upon a finding by the court that the defendant cooperated in the prosecution of other persons, the court may reduce the maximum sentence imposed under the original sentencing order.
3. For purposes of calculating good conduct time under section 903A.2, the sentencing date for a defendant whose sentence has been reopened under this section shall be the date of the original sentencing order.
4. The filing of a motion or the reopening of a sentence under this section shall not constitute grounds to stay any other court proceedings, or to toll or restart the time for filing of any post-trial motion or any appeal.
5. The defendant may request appointment of counsel, if eligible under section 815.10, prior to and during any negotiations and proceedings pursuant to this section.
99 Acts, ch 12, §13
Previous Section 901.5
Next Section 901.6
© 2000 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Wed Aug 16 21:03:56 CDT 2000