As used in this chapter and chapters 35A through 35D:
1. "Commission" means the commission of veterans affairs created in section 35A.2.
2. a. "Veteran" means a resident of this state who served in the armed forces of the United States at any time during the following dates and who was discharged under honorable conditions:
b. "Veteran" includes the following persons:
(1) Former members of the reserve forces of the United States who served at least twenty years in the reserve forces after January 28, 1973, and who were discharged under honorable conditions. However, a member of the reserve forces of the United States who completed a minimum aggregate of ninety days of active federal service, other than training, and was discharged under honorable conditions, or was retired under Title X of the United States Code shall be included as a veteran.
(2) Former members of the Iowa national guard who served at least twenty years in the Iowa national guard after January 28, 1973, and who were discharged under honorable conditions. However, a member of the Iowa national guard who was activated for federal duty, other than training, for a minimum aggregate of ninety days, and was discharged under honorable conditions or was retired under Title X of the United States Code shall be included as a veteran.
(3) Former members of the active, oceangoing merchant marines who served during World War II at any time between December 7, 1941, and December 31, 1946, both dates inclusive, who were discharged under honorable conditions.
(4) Former members of the women's air force service pilots and other persons who have been conferred veterans status based on their civilian duties during World War II in accordance with federal Pub. L. No. 95-202, 38 U.S.C. § 106.
(1) World War I from April 6, 1917, through November 11, 1918.
(2) Occupation of Germany from November 12, 1918, through July 11, 1923.
(3) American expeditionary forces in Siberia from November 12, 1918, through April 30, 1920.
(4) Second Haitian suppression of insurrections from 1919 through 1920.
(5) Second Nicaragua campaign with marines or navy in Nicaragua or on combatant ships from 1926 through 1933.
(6) Yangtze service with navy and marines in Shanghai or in the Yangtze valley from 1926 through 1927 and 1930 through 1932.
(7) China service with navy and marines from 1937 through 1939.
(8) World War II from December 7, 1941, through December 31, 1946.
(9) Korean conflict from June 25, 1950, through January 31, 1955.
(10) Vietnam conflict from February 28, 1961, through May 7, 1975.
(11) Lebanon or Grenada service from August 24, 1982, through July 31, 1984.
(12) Panama service from December 20, 1989, through January 31, 1990.
(13) Persian Gulf conflict from August 2, 1990, through the date the president or the Congress of the United States declares a cessation of hostilities. However, if the United States Congress enacts a date different from August 2, 1990, as the beginning of the Persian Gulf conflict for purposes of determining whether a veteran is entitled to receive military benefits as a veteran of the Persian Gulf conflict, that date shall be substituted for August 2, 1990.
99 Acts, ch 180, §2
Referred to in §19A.9, 35.8, 35B.3, 35B.13, 35B.14, 35B.16, 37.10, 282.6, 331.608, 400.10, 426A.11, 426A.12, 483A.24
Previous Section 34A.22
Next Section 35.2
© 2000 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Wed Aug 16 21:03:56 CDT 2000