The director, as executive head of the department, shall direct and supervise all of the administrative and technical activities of the department. In addition to the duties imposed by the director elsewhere in this chapter, it shall be the director's duty:
1. To apply and carry out this law and the rules adopted thereunder.
2. To establish and maintain a roster of all employees in the executive branch of state government, excluding employees of the state board of regents, in which there shall be set forth, as to each employee, the class title, pay or status, and other pertinent data.
3. To appoint such employees of the department and such experts and special assistants as may be necessary to carry out effectively the provisions of this chapter. Staff employees shall be appointed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.
4. To foster and develop, in cooperation with appointing authorities and others, programs for the improvement of employee effectiveness, including training, safety, health, counseling, and welfare.
5. To encourage and exercise leadership in the development of effective personnel administration within the several departments of state government, and to make available the facilities of the department of personnel to this end.
6. To investigate the operation and effect of this chapter and of the rules made under it and to report semiannually the director's findings and recommendations to the governor.
7. To make an annual report to the governor regarding the work of the department and special reports as the director considers desirable.
8. To perform any other lawful acts which the director may consider necessary or desirable to carry out the purposes and provisions of this chapter.
The director shall designate an employee of the department to act for the director in the director's absence or inability from any cause to discharge the powers and duties of this office.
The director shall utilize appropriate persons, including officers and employees in the executive branch of state government, to assist in the preparation and rating of tests. The director shall confer with agency personnel to assist in preparing examinations for professional and technical classes. An appointing authority may excuse any employee under the appointing authority's jurisdiction from the employee's regular duties for the time required for work as an examiner. These officers and employees are not entitled to extra pay for their services as examiners but shall be paid their necessary traveling and other expenses.
The director shall quarterly render a statement to each department or agency which operates in whole or in part from other than general fund appropriations for a pro rata share of the cost of administration of the department of personnel. The expense shall be paid by the state department or agency in the same manner as other expenses of that department or agency are paid and all moneys received shall be deposited in the general fund of the state.
The director shall render monthly a statement to each state department or agency for a pro rata share of the cost of administration of the state employee flexible spending accounts*. The expense shall be paid by the state department or agency in the same manner as other expenses of that state department or agency are paid and all moneys received for administration costs shall be deposited in the appropriate fund.
[C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 19A.8]
86 Acts, ch 1244, § 9; 86 Acts, ch 1245, § 209, 210; 99 Acts, ch 200, §17
Referred to in § 19A.24
*"State employee health flexible spending accounts" probably intended; corrective legislation is pending
Previous Section 19A.7
Next Section 19A.8A
© 2000 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Wed Aug 16 21:03:56 CDT 2000