The commissioner of public safety shall have the following responsibilities and duties:
1. Shall periodically monitor the operation of governmental information systems which deal with the collection, storage, use and dissemination of criminal history or intelligence data.
2. Shall review the implementation and effectiveness of legislation and administrative rules concerning such systems.
3. May recommend changes in said rules and legislation to the legislature and the appropriate administrative officials.
4. May require such reports from state agencies as may be necessary to perform its duties.
5. May receive and review complaints from the public concerning the operation of such systems.
6. May conduct inquiries and investigations the commissioner finds appropriate to achieve the purposes of this chapter. Each criminal or juvenile justice agency in this state and each state and local agency otherwise authorized access to criminal history data is authorized and directed to furnish to the commissioner of public safety, upon the commissioner's request, statistical data, reports, and other information in its possession as the commissioner deems necessary to implement this chapter.
7. Shall annually approve rules adopted in accordance with section 692.10 and rules to assure the accuracy, completeness and proper purging of criminal history data.
8. Shall approve all agreements, arrangements and systems for the interstate transmission and exchange of criminal history data.
[C75, 77, § 749B.19; C79, 81, § 692.19]
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 1607; 88 Acts, ch 1134, § 113; 95 Acts, ch 191, § 47
Previous Section 692.18
Next Section 692.20
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999