1. If it comes to the attention of a sheriff, police department, or other law enforcement agency that a public offense or delinquent act has been committed in its jurisdiction, the law enforcement agency shall report information concerning the public offense or delinquent act to the department on a form to be furnished by the department not more than thirty-five days from the time the public offense or delinquent act first comes to the attention of the law enforcement agency. The reports shall be used to generate crime statistics. The department shall submit statistics to the governor, the general assembly, and the division of criminal and juvenile justice planning of the department of human rights on a quarterly and yearly basis.
2. If a sheriff, police department, or other law enforcement agency makes an arrest or takes a juvenile into custody which is reported to the department, the law enforcement agency making the arrest or taking the juvenile into custody and any other law enforcement agency which obtains custody of the arrested person or juvenile taken into custody shall furnish a disposition report to the department if the arrested person or juvenile taken into custody is transferred to the custody of another law enforcement agency or is released without having a complaint or information or petition under section 232.35 filed with any court.
3. The law enforcement agency making an arrest and securing fingerprints pursuant to section 690.2 or taking a juvenile into custody and securing fingerprints pursuant to section 232.148 shall fill out a final disposition report on each arrest on a form and in the manner prescribed by the commissioner of public safety. The final disposition report shall be forwarded to the county attorney in the county where the arrest or taking into custody occurred.
4. The county attorney of each county shall complete the final disposition report and submit it to the department within thirty days if a preliminary information or citation is dismissed without a new charge being filed. If an indictment is returned or a county attorney's information is filed, or a petition is filed under section 232.35, the final disposition form shall be forwarded to the clerk of the district court of that county.
5. If a criminal complaint or information or petition under section 232.35 is filed in any court, the clerk shall furnish a disposition report of the case.
6. Any disposition report shall be sent to the department within thirty days after disposition on a form provided by the department.
7. The hate crimes listed in section 729A.2 are subject to the reporting requirements of this section.
8. The fact that a person was convicted for a sexually predatory offense under chapter 901A shall be reported with other conviction data regarding that person.
[C75, 77, § 749B.15; C79, 81, § 692.15]
86 Acts, ch 1237, § 42; 92 Acts, ch 1157, § 2; 93 Acts, ch 115, §6; 95 Acts, ch 191, § 44; 96 Acts, ch 1082, § 1
Referred to in § 331.653, 602.8102(125)
Previous Section 692.14
Next Section 692.16
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999