This division is intended to implement the federal Uniform and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act, 42 U.S.C. § 1973ff et seq.
The term "armed forces of the United States", as used in this division, shall mean the army, navy, marine corps, coast guard, and air force of the United States.
For the purpose of absentee voting only, there shall be included in the term "armed forces of the United States" the following:
1. Spouses and dependents of members of the armed forces while in active service.
2. Members of the merchant marine of the United States and their spouses and dependents.
3. Civilian employees of the United States in all categories serving outside the territorial limits of the several states of the United States and the District of Columbia and their spouses and dependents when residing with or accompanying them, whether or not the employee is subject to the civil service laws and the Classification Act of 1949, and whether or not paid from funds appropriated by the Congress.
4. Members of religious groups or welfare agencies assisting members of the armed forces, who are officially attached to and serving with the armed forces, and their spouses and dependents.
5. Citizens of the United States who do not fall under any of the categories described in subsections 1 to 4, but who are entitled to register and vote pursuant to section 48A.5, subsection 4.
[C54, 58, 62, 66, § 53.37; C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, § 53.37, 53.49; C81, § 53.37]
94 Acts, ch 1180, §25; 95 Acts, ch 67, §8
Referred to in § 48A.5, 48A.5A, 53.49
Previous Section 53.36
Next Section 53.38
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999