The following acts, except as specially authorized by law, are prohibited on any election day:
1. Loitering, congregating, electioneering, posting of signs, treating voters, or soliciting votes, during the receiving of the ballots, either on the premises of any polling place or within three hundred feet of any outside door of any building affording access to any room where the polls are held, or of any outside door of any building affording access to any hallway, corridor, stairway, or other means of reaching the room where the polls are held. This subsection shall not apply to the posting of signs on private property not a polling place, except that the placement of a sign on a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, or any attachment to a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer parked on public property within three hundred feet of a polling place, which sign is more than ninety square inches in size, is prohibited.
2. Interrupting, hindering, or opposing any voter while in or approaching the polling place for the purpose of voting.
3. A voter allowing any person to see how the voter's ballot is marked.
4. A false statement by a voter as to the voter's ability to mark a ballot.
5. Interfering or attempting to interfere with a voter when inside the enclosed space, or when marking a ballot.
6. Endeavoring to induce a voter to show how the voter marks, or has marked a ballot.
7. Marking, or causing in any manner to be marked, on any ballot, any character for the purpose of identifying such ballot.
8. Serving as a member of a challenging committee or observer under section 49.104, subsection 2, 5, or 6, by a precinct election official serving at the polls or by an incumbent officeholder of, or a candidate for, an office being voted for at the election in progress.
[C97, § 1124, 1134; S13, § 1137-a5; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 824; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 49.107]
86 Acts, ch 1224, § 14; 89 Acts, ch 136, §43; 90 Acts, ch 1238, § 24; 93 Acts, ch 143, § 18
Referred to in § 49.92
Assisting voter, § 49.90
Opposing by challenge, § 49.79
Voting mark, § 49.92
Previous Section 49.106
Next Section 49.108
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999