As used in this part unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Disposal" means the isolation of waste from the biosphere in a permanent facility designed for that purpose.
2. "Facilities" means land and improvements on land, buildings and other structures, and other appurtenances used for the management of solid, toxic, hazardous, or low-level radioactive wastes, including but not limited to waste collection sites, waste transfer stations, waste reclamation and recycling centers, waste processing centers, waste treatment centers, waste storage sites, waste reduction and compaction centers, waste incineration centers, waste detoxification centers, and waste disposal sites.
3. "Hazardous waste" means hazardous waste as defined in section 455B.411, subsection 3, and under section 455B.464.
4. "Long-term monitoring and maintenance" means the continued observation and care of a facility after closure in order to ensure that the site poses no threat to the public health, the groundwater, and the environment. In the case of a low-level radioactive waste facility, the time period constituting "long-term" is the number of years of monitoring and maintenance based upon the half-life properties of the wastes, and in the case of a hazardous waste facility is the number of years based upon the projected active toxicity of the waste.
5. "Low-level radioactive waste" means low-level radioactive waste as defined in section 457B.1, article II, section "m", and as defined in the federal Low-Level Radioactive Waste Policy Amendments Act, 42 U.S.C. § 2021.
6. "Management of waste" means the storage, transportation, treatment, or disposal of waste.
7. "Person" means person as defined in section 4.1.
8. "Regulatory agency" means a federal, state, or local agency that issues a license or permit required for the siting, construction, operation, or maintenance of a facility pursuant to federal or state statute or rule, or local ordinance or resolution.
9. "Site" means the geographic location of a facility.
10. "Solid waste" means solid waste as defined in section 455B.301, subsection 20.
11. "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands or any other territorial possession of the United States.
12. "Storage" means the temporary holding of waste for treatment or disposal.
13. "Treatment" means any method, technique, or process designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological characteristics or composition of any waste in order to render the waste safer for transport or management, amenable to recovery, convertible to another usable material, or reduced in volume.
14. "Waste" means solid waste, hazardous waste, and low- level radioactive waste as defined in this section.
15. "Waste management assistance division" means the waste management assistance division established within the department of natural resources.
87 Acts, ch 180, § 4; 92 Acts, ch 1239, § 21
Previous Section 455B.481
Next Section 455B.483
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999