Upon the closing of the polls the precinct election officials shall immediately publicly canvass the vote in the following manner:
1. Place the ballots of the several political parties in separate piles.
2. Separately count the ballots of each party, and make the correct entries thereof on the tally sheets.
3. Certify to the number of votes cast upon the ticket of each political party for each candidate for each office.
4. Place the ballots cast on behalf of each of the parties in separate envelopes. Seal each envelope and place the signature of all board members of the precinct across the seal of the envelope so that it cannot be opened without breaking the seal.
5. On the outside of each envelope enter the number of ballots cast by each party in the precinct and contained in the envelope.
6. Seal the tally sheets and certificates of the precinct election officials in an envelope on the outside of which are written or printed the names of the several political parties with the names of the candidates for the different offices under their party name, and opposite each candidate's name enter the number of votes cast for such candidate in said precinct.
7. Enter on the envelope the total number of voters of each party who cast ballots in the precinct.
8. Communicate the results of the ballots cast for each candidate for office upon the ticket of each political party, in the manner required by section 50.11, to the commissioner of the county in which said polls are located, who shall remain on duty until the results are communicated to the commissioner from each polling place in the county.
[S13, § 1087-a17; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 573; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 43.45]
87 Acts, ch 221, §2; 89 Acts, ch 136, §14
Previous Section 43.44
Next Section 43.46
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999