1. A county which proposes to carry out any general county purpose within or without its boundaries, and to contract indebtedness and issue general obligation bonds to provide funds to pay all or any part of the costs of a project, shall do so in accordance with this part.
2. Before the board may institute proceedings for the issuance of bonds for a general county purpose, it shall call a county special election to vote upon the question of issuing the bonds. At the election the proposition shall be submitted in the following form:
Shall the county of . . . . . . . . , state of Iowa, be authorized to . . . . . . . (state purpose of project) at a total cost not exceeding $. . . and issue its general obligation bonds in an amount not exceeding $. . . for that purpose?
3. Notice of the election shall be given by publication as specified in section 331.305. At the election the ballot used for the submission of the proposition shall be in substantially the form for submitting special questions at general elections.
4. The proposition of issuing bonds for a general county purpose is not carried or adopted unless the vote in favor of the proposition is equal to at least sixty percent of the total vote cast for and against the proposition at the election. If the proposition of issuing the general county purpose bonds is approved by the voters, the board may proceed with the issuance of the bonds.
5. a. Notwithstanding subsection 2, a board, in lieu of calling an election, may institute proceedings for the issuance of bonds for a general county purpose by causing a notice of the proposal to issue the bonds, including a statement of the amount and purpose of the bonds, and the right to petition for an election, to be published as provided in section 331.305 at least ten days prior to the meeting at which it is proposed to take action for the issuance of the bonds subject to the following limitations:
b. If at any time before the date fixed for taking action for the issuance of the bonds, a petition is filed with the auditor in the manner provided by section 331.306 asking that the question of issuing the bonds be submitted to the registered voters of the county, the board shall either by resolution declare the proposal to issue the bonds to have been abandoned or shall direct the county commissioner of elections to call a special election upon the question of issuing the bonds. Notice of the election and its conduct shall be in the manner provided in subsections 2, 3 and 4.
c. If no petition is filed, or if a petition is filed and the proposition of issuing the bonds is approved at an election, the board may proceed with the authorization and issuance of the bonds.
(1) In counties having a population of twenty thousand or less, in an amount of not more than fifty thousand dollars.
(2) In counties having a population of over twenty thousand and not over fifty thousand, in an amount of not more than one hundred thousand dollars.
(3) In counties having a population of over fifty thousand, in an amount of not more than one hundred fifty thousand dollars.
[C31, 35, § 5903-c5; C39, § 5903.05; C46, 50, § 330.7; C54, 58, § 330.7; C62, 66, § 111A.6, 330.7; C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 111A.6, 313A.35, 330.7, 346A.3; S81, § 331.442; 81 Acts, ch 117, § 441; 82 Acts, ch 1104, § 47]
95 Acts, ch 67, §53
Referred to in § 37.6, 37.27, 232.142, 331.301, 331.402, 331.441, 331.445, 331.461, 359.45
Previous Section 331.441
Next Section 331.443
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999