1. The transferee shall within fifteen calendar days after purchase or transfer apply for and obtain from the county treasurer of the person's residence, or if a nonresident, the county treasurer of the county where the primary users of the vehicle are located or the county where all other vehicles owned by the nonresident are registered, a new registration and a new certificate of title for the vehicle except as provided in section 321.25 or 321.48. The transferee shall present with the application the certificate of title endorsed and assigned by the previous owner and shall indicate the name of the county in which the vehicle was last registered and the registration expiration date. The transferee shall be required to list a driver's license number.
2. Upon filing the application for a new registration and a new title, the applicant shall pay a title fee of ten dollars and a registration fee prorated for the remaining unexpired months of the registration year. However, no title fee shall be charged to a mobile home dealer applying for a certificate of title for a used mobile home, titled in Iowa, as required under section 321.45, subsection 4. The county treasurer, if satisfied of the genuineness and regularity of the application, and in the case of a mobile home, that taxes are not owing under chapter 435, and that applicant has complied with all the requirements of this chapter, shall issue a new certificate of title and, except for a mobile home, a registration card to the purchaser or transferee, shall cancel the prior registration for the vehicle, and shall forward the necessary copies to the department on the date of issuance, as prescribed in section 321.24. Mobile homes titled under chapter 448 that have been subject under section 446.18 to a public bidder sale in a county, shall be titled in the county's name, with no fee and the county treasurer shall issue the title.
3. The applicant shall be entitled to a credit for that portion of the registration fee of the vehicle sold, traded, or junked which had not expired prior to the transfer of ownership of the vehicle. The registration fee for the new registration for the vehicle acquired shall be reduced by the amount of the credit. The credit shall be computed on the basis of the number of months remaining in the registration year, rounded to the nearest whole dollar. The credit shall be subject to the following limitations:
a. The credit shall be claimed within thirty days from the date the vehicle for which credit is granted was sold, transferred, or junked. After thirty days, all credits shall be disallowed.
b. Any credit granted to the owner of a vehicle which has been sold, traded, or junked may only be claimed by that person toward the registration fee for another vehicle purchased and the credit may not be sold, transferred, or assigned to any other person.
c. When the amount of the credit is computed to be an amount of less than ten dollars, a credit shall be disallowed.
d. To claim a credit for the unexpired registration fee on a junked vehicle, the county treasurer shall disallow any claim for credit unless the owner presents a junking certificate or other evidence as required by the department to the county treasurer.
e. A credit shall not be allowed to any person who has made claim to receive a refund under section 321.126.
f. The credit shall only be allowed if the owner provides the copy of the registration receipt to the county treasurer.
g. If the credit allowed exceeds the amount of the registration fee for the vehicle acquired, the owner may claim a refund under section 321.126, subsection 6, for the balance of the credit.
h. The credit shall be computed on the unexpired number of months computed from the date of purchase of the vehicle acquired.
4. If the registration fee upon application is delinquent, the applicant shall be required to pay the delinquent fee from the first day the registration fee was due prorated to the month of application for new title.
5. The seller or transferor may file an affidavit on forms prescribed and provided by the department with the county treasurer of the county where the vehicle is registered certifying the sale or transfer of ownership of the vehicle and the assignment and delivery of the certificate of title for the vehicle. Upon receipt of the affidavit the county treasurer shall file the affidavit with the copy of the registration receipt for the vehicle on file in the treasurer's office and on that day the treasurer shall forward copies of the affidavit to the department and to the county treasurer of the county of residence of the purchaser or transferee. Upon filing the affidavit it shall be presumed that the seller or transferor has assigned and delivered the certificate of title for the vehicle.
6. An applicant for a new registration for a vehicle transferred to the applicant by a spouse, parent or child of the applicant, or by operation of law upon inheritance, devise or bequest, from the applicant's spouse, parent or child, or by a former spouse pursuant to a decree of dissolution of marriage, is entitled to a credit to be applied to the registration fee for the transferred vehicle. A credit shall not be allowed unless the vehicle to which the credit applies is registered within the time specified under subsection 1. The credit shall be computed on the basis of the number of unexpired months remaining in the registration year of the former owner computed from the date the vehicle was transferred, computed to the nearest whole dollar. The credit may exceed the amount of the registration fee for the transferred vehicle. When the amount of the credit is computed to be an amount of less than ten dollars, the credit shall be disallowed. The credit shall not be sold, transferred, or assigned to any other person.
7. If a motor vehicle is leased and the lessee purchases the vehicle upon termination of the lease, the lessor shall, upon claim by the lessee with the lessor within fifteen days of the purchase, assign the registration fee credit and registration plates for the leased motor vehicle to the lessee. Credit shall be applied as provided in subsection 3.
[S13, § 1571-m9; C24, 27, 31, 35, § 4962; C39, § 5002.02; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 321.46; 82 Acts, ch 1251, § 11]
82 Acts, ch 1062, § 8, 38; 83 Acts, ch 24, § 2, 3, 4, 12; 83 Acts, ch 82, § 2; 84 Acts, ch 1305, § 52; 85 Acts, ch 87, §3; 87 Acts, ch 130, §3; 88 Acts, ch 1215, §6; 90 Acts, ch 1154, § 1-5; 91 Acts, ch 191, §6; 93 Acts, ch 87, § 3; 98 Acts, ch 1073, §9
Referred to in § 321.34, 321.48, 321.52, 321.52A, 321.105, 321.109, 321.126, 331.557, 805.8(12)
Surcharge imposed; § 321.52A
Previous Section 321.45
Next Section 321.46A
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999