321.40  Application for renewal--notification--reasons for refusal.

Application for renewal of a vehicle registration shall be made on or after the first day of the month of expiration of registration and up to and including the last day of the month following the month of expiration of registration. The registration shall be renewed upon payment of the appropriate registration fee.

On or before the fifteenth day of the month of expiration of a vehicle's registration the county treasurer shall send a statement by mail of fees due to the appropriate owner of record. The statement shall be mailed to the most current address of record, showing information sufficient to identify the vehicle and a listing of the various fees as appropriate. Failure to receive a statement shall have no effect upon the accrual of penalty at the appropriate date.

Registration receipts issued for renewals shall have the word "renewal" imprinted thereon and, if the owner making a renewal application has been issued a certificate of title, the title number shall appear on the registration receipt. All registration receipts for renewals shall be typewritten or printed by other mechanical means. The applicant shall receive a registration receipt.

The county treasurer shall refuse to renew the registration of a vehicle registered to a person when notified by the department through the distributed teleprocessing network that the person has not paid restitution as defined under section 910.1, subsection 4, to a clerk of the court located within the state. Each clerk of court shall, on a daily basis, notify the department through the Iowa court information system of the full name and social security number of all persons who owe delinquent restitution and whose restitution obligation has been satisfied or canceled. This paragraph does not apply to the transfer of a registration or the issuance of a new registration.

The county treasurer shall refuse to renew the registration of a vehicle registered to the applicant for renewal of registration if the applicant has failed to pay any local vehicle taxes due in that county on that vehicle or any other vehicle owned or previously owned by the applicant until such local vehicle taxes are paid.

The county treasurer shall refuse to renew the registration of a vehicle registered to the applicant if the county treasurer knows that the applicant has a delinquent account, charge, fee, loan, taxes, or other indebtedness owed to or being collected by the state, from information provided pursuant to section 421.17. An applicant may contest this action by requesting a contested case proceeding from the agency that referred the debt for collection pursuant to section 421.17.

When application is made for the renewal of a motor vehicle registration on or after December 1, 1982, the person in whose name the registration is recorded shall notify the county treasurer of the type of fuel used by the vehicle if the type of fuel used is different from that which is shown on the registration receipt. If a motor vehicle registration indicates that the vehicle uses or may use a special fuel as defined in chapter 452A the county treasurer shall issue a special fuel user identification sticker. The person who owns or controls the vehicle shall affix the sticker in a prominent place on the vehicle adjacent to the place where the special fuel is delivered into the motor vehicle fuel supply tank.

Section History: Early form

  [S13, § 1571-m6; C24, 27, 31, 35, § 4875; C39, § 5001.24; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 321.40; 82 Acts, ch 1218, § 1]

Section History: Recent form

  82 Acts, ch 1062, § 6, 7, 38; 85 Acts, ch 32, §78; 85 Acts, ch 77, §1; 85 Acts, ch 87, §2; 95 Acts, ch 57, §1; 95 Acts, ch 169, §1, 10; 95 Acts, ch 194, §4, 12; 97 Acts, ch 104, §12, 61

Internal References

  Referred to in § 321.34, 321.236, 331.557, 422B.2

Previous Section 321.39

Next Section 321.41

Return To Home index

© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa

Comments about this site or page? webmaster@legis.iowa.gov.
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.

Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999
URL: /DOCS/IACODE/1999/321/40.html