The department or the county treasurer shall refuse registration and issuance of a certificate of title or any transfer of title and registration upon any of the following grounds:
1. That the application contains any false or fraudulent statement or that the applicant has failed to furnish required information or reasonable additional information requested by the department or that the applicant is not entitled to registration and issuance of a certificate of title of the vehicle under this chapter.
2. That the vehicle is mechanically unfit or unsafe to be operated or moved upon the highways, providing such condition is revealed by a member of this department, or any peace officer.
3. That the department or the county treasurer has reasonable ground to believe that the vehicle is a stolen or embezzled vehicle or that the granting of registration and issuance of a certificate of title would constitute a fraud against the rightful owner.
4. That the registration of the vehicle stands suspended or revoked for any reason as provided in the motor vehicle laws of this state.
5. That the required fee has not been paid except as provided in section 321.48.
6. That the required use tax has not been paid.
7. If application for registration and certificate of title for a new vehicle is not accompanied by a manufacturer's or importer's certificate duly assigned.
8. If application for a transfer of registration and issuance of a certificate of title for a used vehicle registered in this state is not accompanied by a certificate of title duly assigned.
9. If application and supporting documents are insufficient to authorize the issuance of a certificate of title as provided by this chapter, except that an initial registration or transfer of registration may be issued as provided in section 321.23.
10. In the case of a mobile home, that taxes are owing under chapter 435 for a previous year.
11. In the case of a mobile home converted from real estate, real estate taxes which are delinquent.
12. If a commercial motor vehicle has been assigned to be operated by a commercial motor carrier whose ability to operate has been terminated or denied by a federal agency.
13. The department or the county treasurer knows that an applicant for renewal of a registration has a delinquent account, charge, fee, loan, taxes, or other indebtedness owed to or being collected by the state, from information received pursuant to section 421.17. An applicant may contest this action by requesting a contested case proceeding from the agency that referred the debt for collection pursuant to section 421.17. This subsection shall apply only to a renewal of registration and shall not apply to the issuance of an original registration or to the issuance of a certificate of title.
The department or the county treasurer shall also refuse registration of a vehicle if the applicant for registration of the vehicle has failed to pay the required registration fees of any vehicle owned or previously owned when the registration fee was required to be paid by the applicant, and for which vehicle the registration was suspended or revoked under section 321.101, subsection 4, until the fees are paid together with any accrued penalties.
[C39, § 5001.14; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 321.30; 82 Acts, ch 1164, § 1, ch 1251, § 9]
85 Acts, ch 98, §3; 87 Acts, ch 108, §3-5; 95 Acts, ch 55, § 4; 95 Acts, ch 194, §2, 12
Referred to in § 321.101, 331.557
Previous Section 321.29
Next Section 321.31
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999