1. A person whose driver's license or operating privilege has been denied, canceled, suspended, or revoked as provided in this chapter or as provided in section 252J.8 or section 901.5, subsection 10, and who operates a motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while the license or privilege is denied, canceled, suspended, or revoked, commits a serious misdemeanor.
2. The sentence imposed under this section shall not be suspended by the court, notwithstanding section 907.3 or any other statute.
3. The department, upon receiving the record of the conviction of a person under this section upon a charge of operating a motor vehicle while the license of the person is suspended or revoked, shall, except for licenses suspended under section 252J.8, 321.210, subsection 1, paragraph "c", section 321.210A, 321.210B, or 321.513, extend the period of suspension or revocation for an additional like period, and the department shall not issue a new driver's license to the person during the additional period.
If the department receives a record of a conviction of a person under this section but the person's driving record does not indicate what the original grounds of suspension were, the period of suspension under this subsection shall be for a period not to exceed six months.
4. A person who operates a commercial motor vehicle upon the highways of this state when disqualified from operating the commercial motor vehicle under section 321.208 commits a serious misdemeanor if a commercial driver's license is required for the person to operate the commercial motor vehicle.
5. The department, upon receiving the record of a conviction of a person under this section upon a charge of operating a commercial motor vehicle while the person is disqualified shall extend the period of disqualification for an additional like period.
[C31, 35, § 4960-d34, -d51; C39, § 5015.03; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 321.218; 82 Acts, ch 1167, § 4]
84 Acts, ch 1142, § 1; 85 Acts, ch 195, § 36; 86 Acts, ch 1220, § 34; 89 Acts, ch 83, §43; 90 Acts, ch 1230, § 60; 93 Acts, ch 164, § 4; 95 Acts, ch 48, §4; 96 Acts, ch 1090, § 6, 7; 97 Acts, ch 104, §17; 98 Acts, ch 1073, § 9
Referred to in § 321J.4B
Previous Section 321.217
Next Section 321.218A
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999