Every motor vehicle, trailer, and semitrailer when driven or moved upon a highway shall be subject to the registration provisions of this chapter except:
1. Any such vehicle driven or moved upon a highway in conformance with the provisions of this chapter relating to manufacturers, transporters, dealers, or nonresidents as contemplated by section 321.53 and chapter 326, or under a temporary registration permit issued by the department as hereinafter authorized.
2. Any such vehicle which is driven or moved upon a highway only for the purpose of crossing such highway from one property to another.
3. Any implement of husbandry.
4. Any special mobile equipment as herein defined.
5. Any vehicle which is used exclusively for interplant purposes, in the operation of an industrial or manufacturing plant, consisting of a single unit comprising a group of buildings separated by streets, alleys, or railroad tracks, and which vehicle is used solely to transport materials from one part of the plant to another or from an adjacent railroad track to the plant and in so doing incidentally using said streets or alleys for not more than one thousand feet.
6. Any vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails.
7. Any school bus in this state used exclusively for the transportation of pupils to and from school or a school function or for the purposes provided in section 285.1, subsection 1, and section 285.10, subsection 9, or used exclusively for the transportation of children enrolled in a federal head start program. Upon application the department shall, without charge, issue a registration certificate and shall also issue registration plates which shall have imprinted thereon the words "Private School Bus" and a distinguishing number assigned to the applicant. Such plates shall be attached to the front and rear of each bus exempt from registration under this subsection.
8. Any mobile home.
[C24, 27, 31, 35, § 4864; C39, § 5001.02; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 321.18; 82 Acts, ch 1251, § 4]
95 Acts, ch 118, §4
Referred to in § 321.20B, 331.557, 422B.2, 423.1, 452A.17, 554.9302
Previous Section 321.17
Next Section 321.18A
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999