The department shall not issue a driver's license:
1. To any person who is under the age of eighteen years except as provided in section 321.180B. However, the department may issue a driver's license to certain minors as provided in section 321.178 or 321.194, or a driver's license restricted to motorized bicycles as provided in section 321.189.
2. To any person holding any other driver's license.
3. To any person whose driver's license or driving privilege is suspended or revoked.
4. To any person who is a chronic alcoholic, or is addicted to the use of an illegal narcotic drug.
5. To any person who has previously been adjudged to be incompetent by reason of mental illness and who has not at the time of application been restored to competency by the methods provided by law.
6. To any person who fails to pass an examination required by this chapter.
7. To any person when the director has good cause to believe the person by reason of physical or mental disability would not be able to operate a motor vehicle safely.
8. To any person to operate a commercial motor vehicle unless the person is eighteen years of age or older and the person qualifies under federal and state law to be issued a commercial driver's license in this state.
9. To any person, as a chauffeur, who is under the age of eighteen.
10. To any person who has a delinquent account owed to the state according to records provided to the state department of transportation by the department of revenue and finance pursuant to section 421.17, unless the person provides to the state department of transportation evidence of approval for issuance from the department of revenue and finance. The department of revenue and finance shall approve issuance if the applicant has made arrangements for payment of the debt with the agency, which is owed or is collecting the debt, to the satisfaction of the agency. This subsection is only applicable to those persons who are applying for issuance of a license in a county which is participating in the driver's license indebtedness clearance pilot project.
[C31, 35, § 4960-d5-4960-d9; C39, § 5013.04; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 321.177]
85 Acts, ch 195, §34; 90 Acts, ch 1230, § 24; 95 Acts, ch 194, §5; 98 Acts, ch 1073, §9; 98 Acts, ch 1112, §1, 14, 16
Referred to in § 321.180A
For provisions of driver's license indebtedness clearance pilot project effective May 19, 1997, see 97 Acts, ch 153, §2, 4
Applicability of minimum age requirements to permits and licenses; amendment to subsection 1 is effective January 1, 1999; 98 Acts, ch 1112, §14, 16
Previous Section 321.176B
Next Section 321.178
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999