The following operators are exempt from the commercial driver's license requirements:
1. A farmer or a person working for a farmer while operating a commercial motor vehicle owned by the farmer within one hundred fifty air miles of the farmer's farm to transport the farmer's own agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from the farm. The exemption provided in this subsection shall apply to farmers who assist each other through an exchange of services and shall include operation of a commercial motor vehicle between the farms of the farmers who are exchanging services.
2. A fire fighter while operating a fire vehicle for a volunteer or paid fire organization or a peace officer, as defined in section 801.4, while operating a commercial motor vehicle for a law enforcement agency, under conditions necessary to preserve life or property or to execute related governmental functions.
3. Military personnel while on active duty and operating equipment owned or operated by the United States department of defense.
4. A person while operating a motor home solely for personal or family use.
5. A person operating a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than twenty-six thousand one pounds towing a travel trailer or fifth-wheel travel trailer solely for personal or family use.
6. A person exempted by rules adopted by the department pursuant to section 321.176B.
7. A home care aide operating a motor vehicle in the course of the home care aide's duties.
90 Acts, ch 1230, § 22; 92 Acts, ch 1175, § 20; 93 Acts, ch 139, § 8; 96 Acts, ch 1152, § 9
Referred to in § 321.189
Previous Section 321.176
Next Section 321.176B
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999