The department is hereby authorized to suspend or revoke the registration of a vehicle, registration card, registration plate, or any nonresident or other permit in any of the following events:
1. When the department is satisfied that such registration card, plate, or permit was fraudulently or erroneously issued.
2. When the department determines that a registered vehicle is mechanically unfit or unsafe to be operated or moved upon the highways.
3. When a registered vehicle has been dismantled or wrecked.
4. When the department determines that the required fee has not been paid and the same is not paid upon reasonable notice and demand.
5. When a registration card, registration plate, or permit is knowingly displayed upon a vehicle other than the one for which issued.
6. When the department determines that the owner has committed any offense under this chapter involving the registration card, plate, or permit to be suspended or revoked.
7. When the department is so authorized under any other provision of law.
8. The department shall cancel a certificate of title that appears to have been improperly issued or fraudulently obtained or in the case of a mobile home, if taxes were owing under chapter 435 at the time the certificate was issued and have not been paid. However, before the certificate to a mobile home where taxes were owing can be canceled, notice and opportunity to pay the taxes must be given to the person to whom the certificate was issued. Upon cancellation of any certificate of title the department shall notify the county treasurer who issued it, who shall enter the cancellation upon the records. The department shall also notify the person to whom the certificate of title was issued, as well as any lienholders appearing thereon, of the cancellation and shall demand the surrender of the certificate of title, but the cancellation shall not affect the validity of any lien noted thereon.
9. If a commercial motor vehicle has been assigned to be operated by a commercial motor carrier whose ability to operate has been terminated or denied by a federal agency.
10. Notice of suspension or revocation of the registration of a vehicle, registration card, registration plate, or any nonresident or other permit under the terms of this section shall be by personal delivery of said notice to the person to be so notified or by certified mail addressed to such person at the person's address as shown on the registration record. No return acknowledgment shall be necessary to prove such latter service.
If a vehicle, for which the registration has been suspended or revoked pursuant to subsection 4 of this section, is transferred to a bona fide purchaser for value without actual knowledge of such suspension or revocation then the vehicle shall be deemed to be registered and the provisions of sections 321.28 and 321.30, subsections 4 and 5, shall not be applicable to such vehicle for the failure of the previous owner to pay the required fees.
[C24, 27, 31, 35, § 5090; C39, § 5007.05; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 321.101; 82 Acts, ch 1251, § 14]
95 Acts, ch 55, §5
Referred to in § 321.30
Previous Section 321.100
Next Section 321.102
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999