1. The Iowa energy center is established at Iowa state university of science and technology. The center shall strive to increase energy efficiency in all areas of Iowa energy use. The center shall serve as a model for state efforts to decrease dependence on imported fuels and to decrease reliance on energy production from nonrenewable, resource-depleting fuels. The center shall conduct and sponsor research on energy efficiency and conservation that will improve the environmental, social, and economic well-being of Iowans, minimize the environmental impact of existing energy production and consumption, and reduce the need to add new power plants.
The center shall assist Iowans in assessing technology related to energy efficiency and alternative energy production systems and shall support educational and demonstration programs that encourage implementation of energy efficiency and alternative energy production systems.
The center shall also conduct and sponsor research to develop alternative energy systems that are based upon renewable sources and that will reduce the negative environmental and economic impact of energy production systems.
2. An advisory council is established consisting of the following members:
a. One person from Iowa state university of science and technology, appointed by its president.
b. One person from the university of Iowa, appointed by its president.
c. One person from the university of northern Iowa, appointed by its president.
d. One representative of private colleges and universities within the state, to be nominated by the Iowa association of independent colleges and universities, and appointed by the Iowa coordinating council for post-high school education.
e. One representative of community colleges, appointed by the state board for community colleges.
f. One representative of the energy and geological resources division of the department of natural resources, appointed by the director.
g. One representative of the state department of transportation, appointed by the director.
h. One representative of the office of consumer advocate, appointed by the consumer advocate.
i. One representative of the utilities board, appointed by the utilities board.
j. One representative of the rural electric cooperatives, appointed by the governing body of the Iowa association of electric cooperatives.
k. One representative of municipal utilities, appointed by the governing body of the Iowa association of municipal utilities.
l. Two representatives from investor-owned utilities, one representing gas utilities, appointed by the Iowa utility association, and one representing electric utilities, appointed by the Iowa utility association.
The terms of the members shall begin and end as provided in section 69.19 and any vacancy shall be filled by the original appointing authority. The terms shall be for four years and shall be staggered as determined by the president of Iowa state university of science and technology.
3. Iowa state university of science and technology shall employ a director for the center, who shall be appointed by the president of Iowa state university of science and technology. The director of the center shall employ necessary research and support staff. The director and staff shall be employees of Iowa state university of science and technology. No more than five hundred thousand dollars of the funds made available by appropriation from state revenues in any one year shall be expended by the center for the salaries and benefits of the employees of the center, including the salary and benefits of the director. The remainder of the funds appropriated from state funds shall be used to sponsor research grants and projects submitted on a competitive basis by Iowa colleges and universities and private nonprofit agencies and foundations. The center may also solicit additional grants and funding from public and private nonprofit agencies and foundations.
The director shall prepare an annual report.
4. The advisory council shall provide the president of Iowa state university of science and technology with a list of three candidates from which the director shall be selected. The council shall provide an additional list of three candidates if requested by the president. The council shall advise the director in the development of a budget, on the policies and procedures of the center, in the funding of research grant proposals, and regarding program planning and review.
5. The Iowa energy center shall develop a program to provide assistance to rural residents for energy efficiency efforts.
6. The Iowa energy center, in cooperation with the state department of transportation, shall conduct a feasibility study of the development and implementation of a "rail through rural Iowa" program to provide interstate passenger rail service connections. The center shall submit a report to the governor and the general assembly by January 1992 regarding the feasibility of such a program. Funding for the center derived from the assessment on the revenues of utilities pursuant to section 476.10A shall not be expended to fulfill the requirements of this subsection.
7. The Iowa energy center shall cooperate with the state board of education in developing a curriculum which promotes energy efficiency and conservation.
90 Acts, ch 1252, §17; 91 Acts, ch 253, §13
Referred to in § 476.1A, 476.1B, 476.1C, 476.10A, 476.46, 478.29, 479.31, 479A.16, 479B.21
Previous Section 266.39B
Next Section 266.39D
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999