222.59  Alternative to state hospital-school placement.

1.  Upon receiving a request from an authorized requester, the superintendent of a state hospital-school shall coordinate with the single entry point process in assisting the requester in identifying available community-based services as an alternative to continued placement of a patient in the state hospital-school. For the purposes of this section, "authorized requester" means the parent, guardian, or custodian of a minor patient, the guardian of an adult patient, or an adult patient who does not have a guardian. The assistance shall identify alternatives to continued placement which are appropriate to the patient's needs and shall include but are not limited to any of the following:

a.  Providing information on currently available services that are an alternative to residence in the state hospital- school.

b.  Referring the patient to an appropriate case management agency or other provider of service.

2.  If a patient was admitted pursuant to section 222.13 or section 222.13A and the patient wishes to be placed outside of the state hospital-school, the discharge for the placement shall be made in accordance with the provisions of section 222.15.

3.  If a patient was involuntarily committed, a petition for approval of a proposed placement outside the state hospital-school shall be filed, by the authorized requester or the superintendent of the state hospital-school where the patient is placed, with the court which made the commitment with either of the following recommendations for the court's consideration:

a.  That the patient's commitment is no longer necessary and should be discontinued.

b.  That the patient's commitment is still appropriate but the patient should be transferred to another public or private facility in accordance with the provisions of section 222.31, subsection 1.

Section History: Early form

  [C97, § 2698; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 3405, 3446; C46, § 221.4; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, § 222.36, 223.19; C66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 222.59]

Section History: Recent form

  83 Acts, ch 96, § 157, 159; 90 Acts, ch 1271, § 1502; 95 Acts, ch 82, §11; 96 Acts, ch 1183, § 5

Internal References

  Referred to in § 331.381

Previous Section 222.58

Next Section 222.60

Return To Home index

© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa

Comments about this site or page? webmaster@legis.iowa.gov.
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.

Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999
URL: /DOCS/IACODE/1999/222/59.html