As used in this chapter:
1. "Administer" means the direct application of a controlled substance, whether by injection, inhalation, ingestion, or any other means, to the body of a patient or research subject by:
a. A practitioner, or in the practitioner's presence, by the practitioner's authorized agent; or
b. The patient or research subject at the direction and in the presence of the practitioner.
Nothing contained in this chapter shall be construed to prevent a physician, dentist, podiatric physician, or veterinarian from delegating the administration of controlled substances under this chapter to a nurse, intern, or other qualified individual or, as to veterinarians, to an orderly or assistant, under the veterinarian's direction and supervision; all pursuant to rules adopted by the board.
2. "Agent" means an authorized person who acts on behalf of or at the direction of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser. It does not include a common or contract carrier, public warehouser, or employee of the carrier or warehouser.
3. "Board" means the state board of pharmacy examiners.
4. "Bureau" means the bureau of narcotics and dangerous drugs, United States department of justice, or its successor agency.
5. "Controlled substance" means a drug, substance, or immediate precursor in schedules I through V of division II of this chapter.
6. "Counterfeit substance" means a controlled substance which, or the container or labeling of which, without authorization, bears the trademark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, number or device, or any likeness thereof, of a manufacturer, distributor, or dispenser other than the person who in fact manufactured, distributed, or dispensed the substance.
7. "Deliver" or "delivery" means the actual, constructive, or attempted transfer from one person to another of a controlled substance, whether or not there is an agency relationship.
8. "Department" means the department of public safety of the state of Iowa.
9. "Dispense" means to deliver a controlled substance to an ultimate user or research subject by or pursuant to the lawful order of a practitioner, including the prescribing, administering, packaging, labeling, or compounding necessary to prepare the substance for that delivery.
10. "Dispenser" means a practitioner who dispenses.
11. "Distribute" means to deliver other than by administering or dispensing a controlled substance.
12. "Distributor" means a person who distributes.
13. "Drug" means:
a. Substances recognized as drugs in the official United States Pharmacopoeia, official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, or official National Formulary, or any supplement to any of them;
b. Substances intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease in humans or animals;
c. Substances, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the human body or animals; and
d. Substances intended for use as a component of any article specified in paragraph "a", "b", or "c" of this subsection. It does not include devices or their components, parts, or accessories.
14. "Immediate precursor" means a substance which the board has found to be and by rule designates as being the principal compound commonly used or produced primarily for use, and which is an immediate chemical intermediary used or likely to be used in the manufacture of a controlled substance, the control of which is necessary to prevent, curtail, or limit manufacture.
15. "Isomer" means the optical isomer, except as used in section 124.204, subsection 4, section 124.204, subsection 9, paragraph "b", and section 124.206, subsection 2, paragraph "d". As used in section 124.204, subsection 4, and section 124.204, subsection 9, paragraph "b", "isomer" means the optical, positional, or geometric isomer. As used in section 124.206, subsection 2, paragraph "d", "isomer" means the optical or geometric isomer.
16. "Manufacture" means the production, preparation, propagation, compounding, conversion or processing of a controlled substance, either directly or by extraction from substances of natural origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis, and includes any packaging or repackaging of the substance or labeling or relabeling of its container, except that this term does not include the preparation or compounding of a controlled substance by an individual for the individual's own use, or the preparation, compounding, packaging, or labeling of a controlled substance:
a. By a practitioner as an incident to administering or dispensing of a controlled substance in the course of the practitioner's professional practice, or
b. By a practitioner, or by an authorized agent under the practitioner's supervision, for the purpose of, or as an incident to, research, teaching, or chemical analysis and not for sale.
17. "Marijuana" means all parts of the plants of the genus cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin, including tetrahydrocannabinols. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil or cake or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
18. "Narcotic drug" means any of the following, whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
a. Opium, opiates, derivatives of opium and opiates, including their isomers, esters, ethers, salts, and salts of isomers, esters, and ethers whenever the existence of such isomers, esters, ethers, and salts is possible within the specific chemical designation. Such term does not include the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium.
b. Poppy straw and concentrate of poppy straw.
c. Opium poppy.
d. Any compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of any of the substances referred to in paragraphs "a" through "c".
19. "Opiate" means any substance having an addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. It does not include, unless specifically designated as controlled under section 124.201, the dextrorotatory isomer of 3-methoxy-n-methylmorphinan and its salts (dextro-methorphan). It does include its racemic and levorotatory forms.
20. "Opium poppy" means the plant of the species Papaver somniferum L., except its seeds.
21. "Person" means individual, corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity.
22. "Poppy straw" means all parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy, after mowing.
23. "Practitioner" means either:
a. A physician, dentist, podiatric physician, veterinarian, scientific investigator or other person licensed, registered or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to or to administer a controlled substance in the course of professional practice or research in this state.
b. A pharmacy, hospital or other institution licensed, registered, or otherwise permitted to distribute, dispense, conduct research with respect to or to administer a controlled substance in the course of professional practice or research in this state.
24. "Production" includes the manufacture, planting, cultivation, growing, or harvesting of a controlled substance.
25. "Simulated controlled substance" means a substance which is not a controlled substance but which is expressly represented to be a controlled substance, or a substance which is not a controlled substance but which is impliedly represented to be a controlled substance and which because of its nature, packaging, or appearance would lead a reasonable person to believe it to be a controlled substance.
26. "State," when applied to a part of the United States, includes any state, district, commonwealth, territory, insular possession, and any area subject to the legal authority of the United States of America.
27. "Ultimate user" means a person who lawfully possesses a controlled substance for the person's own use or for the use of a member of the person's household or for administering to an animal owned by the person or by a member of the person's household.
[C51, § 2728; R60, § 4374; C73, § 4038; C97, § 2593; S13, § 2593, 2596-a; C24, 27, 31, 35, § 3151; C39, § 3169.01, 3169.07; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, § 204.1, 204.7; C71, § 204.1, 204.7, 204A.1; C73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 204.101; 82 Acts, ch 1147, § 1]
84 Acts, ch 1013, § 1-3; 91 Acts, ch 8, §1
C93, § 124.101
94 Acts, ch 1009, §1; 95 Acts, ch 108, § 1
Referred to in § 80.27, 124.410, 124A.2, 124B.1, 125.2, 279.9, 321.208, 453B.1, 657.2, 808B.3, 808B.5
Previous Section 123A.12
Next Section 124.201
© 1999 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Thu Mar 18 15:00:31 CST 1999