1. A decision-making assistance program is created to provide assistance to minors in making informed decisions relating to pregnancy. The program shall offer and include all of the following:
a. (1) A video, to be developed by a person selected through a request for proposals process or other contractual agreement, which provides information regarding the various options available to a pregnant minor with regard to the pregnancy, including a decision to continue the pregnancy to term and retain parental rights following the child's birth, a decision to continue the pregnancy to term and place the child for adoption following the child's birth, and a decision to terminate the pregnancy through abortion. The video shall provide the information in a manner and language, including but not limited to the use of closed captioning for the hearing-impaired, which could be understood by a minor.
(2) The video shall explain that public and private agencies are available to assist a pregnant minor with any alternative chosen.
(3) The video shall explain that if the pregnant minor decides to continue the pregnancy to term, and to retain parental rights to the child, the father of the child is liable for the support of the child.
(4) The video shall explain that tendering false documents is a fraudulent practice in the fourth degree pursuant to section 135L.6.
b. Written decision-making materials which include all of the following:
(1) Information regarding the options described in the video including information regarding the agencies and programs available to provide assistance to the pregnant minor in parenting a child; information relating to adoption including but not limited to information regarding child- placing agencies; and information regarding abortion including but not limited to the legal requirements relative to the performance of an abortion on a pregnant minor. The information provided shall include information explaining that if a pregnant minor decides to continue the pregnancy to term and to retain parental rights, the father of the child is liable for the support of the child and that if the pregnant minor seeks public assistance on behalf of the child, the pregnant minor shall, and if the pregnant minor is not otherwise eligible as a public assistance recipient, the pregnant minor may, seek the assistance of the child support recovery unit in establishing the paternity of the child, and in seeking support payments for a reasonable amount of the costs associated with the pregnancy, medical support, and maintenance from the father of the child, or if the father is a minor, from the parents of the minor father. The information shall include a listing of the agencies and programs and the services available from each.
(2) A workbook which is to be used in viewing the video and which includes a questionnaire and exercises to assist a pregnant minor in viewing the video and in considering the options available regarding the minor's pregnancy.
(3) A detachable certification form to be signed by the pregnant minor certifying that the pregnant minor was offered a viewing of the video and the written decision-making materials.
2. a. The video shall be available through the state and local offices of the Iowa department of public health, the department of human services, and the judicial department and through the office of each licensed physician who performs abortions.
b. The video may be available through the office of any licensed physician who does not perform abortions, upon the request of the physician; through any nonprofit agency serving minors, upon the request of the agency; and through any other person providing services to minors, upon the request of the person.
3. During the initial appointment between a licensed physician from whom a pregnant minor is seeking the performance of an abortion and a pregnant minor, the licensed physician shall offer the viewing of the video and the written decision-making materials to the pregnant minor, and shall obtain the signed and dated certification form from the pregnant minor. A licensed physician shall not perform an abortion on a pregnant minor prior to obtaining the completed certification form from a pregnant minor.
4. A pregnant minor shall be encouraged to select a responsible adult, preferably a parent of the pregnant minor, to accompany the pregnant minor in viewing the video and receiving the decision-making materials.
5. To the extent possible and at the discretion of the pregnant minor, the person responsible for impregnating the pregnant minor shall also be involved in the viewing of the video and in the receipt of written decision-making materials.
6. Following the offering of the viewing of the video and of the written decision-making materials, the pregnant minor shall sign and date the certification form attached to the materials, and shall submit the completed form to the licensed physician. The licensed physician shall also provide a copy of the completed certification form to the pregnant minor.
96 Acts, ch 1011, § 2; 96 Acts, ch 1174, § 1; 97 Acts, ch 173, §2
Referred to in § 135L.3, 135L.6
© 1998 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Fri Jun 5 16:07:06 CDT 1998