As used in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Adjusted gross receipts" means the gross receipts less winnings paid to wagerers.
2. "Applicant" means any person applying for an occupational license or applying for a license to operate an excursion gambling boat, or the officers and members of the board of directors of a qualified sponsoring organization located in Iowa applying for a license to conduct gambling games on an excursion gambling boat.
3. "Cheat" means to alter the selection of criteria which determine the result of a gambling game or the amount or frequency of payment in a gambling game.
4. "Commission" means the state racing and gaming commission created under section 99D.5.
5. "Distributor" means a person who sells, markets, or otherwise distributes gambling games or implements of gambling which are usable in the lawful conduct of gambling games pursuant to this chapter, to a licensee authorized to conduct gambling games pursuant to this chapter.
6. "Dock" means the location where an excursion gambling boat moors for the purpose of embarking passengers for and disembarking passengers from a gambling excursion.
7. "Excursion gambling boat" means a self-propelled excursion boat on which lawful gambling is authorized and licensed as provided in this chapter.
8. "Gambling excursion" means the time during which gambling games may be operated on an excursion gambling boat whether docked or during a cruise.
9. "Gambling game" means any game of chance authorized by the commission. However, for racetrack enclosures, "gambling game" does not include table games of chance or video machines. "Gambling game" does not include sports betting.
10. "Gross receipts" means the total sums wagered under this chapter.
11. "Holder of occupational license" means a person licensed by the commission to perform an occupation which the commission has identified as requiring a license to engage in excursion boat gambling in Iowa.
12. "Licensee" means any person licensed under section 99F.7.
13. "Manufacturer" means a person who designs, assembles, fabricates, produces, constructs, or who otherwise prepares a product or a component part of a product of any implement of gambling usable in the lawful conduct of gambling games pursuant to this chapter.
14. "Qualified sponsoring organization" means a nonprofit corporation organized under the laws of this state, whether or not it is exempt from federal income taxation, or a person or association that can show to the satisfaction of the commission that the person or association is eligible for exemption from federal income taxation under section 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), 501(c)(5), 501(c)(6), 501(c)(7), 501(c)(8), 501(c)(10), or 501(c)(19) of the Internal Revenue Code as defined in section 422.3.
15. "Racetrack enclosure" means the grandstand, clubhouse, turf club, or other areas of a licensed racetrack which an individual may enter only upon payment of an admission fee or upon presentation of authorized credentials. "Racetrack enclosure" also means any additional areas designated by the commission.
89 Acts, ch 67, §1; 92 Acts, ch 1203, §14; 94 Acts, ch 1021, §7--;9; 95 Acts, ch 176, §2
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997