As used in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Applicant" means an individual applying for an occupational license or the officers and members of the board of directors of a nonprofit corporation applying for a license to conduct a race where pari-mutuel wagering would be permitted under this chapter.
2. "Breakage" means the odd cents by which the amount payable on each dollar wagered in a pari-mutuel pool exceeds a multiple of ten cents.
3. "Commission" means the state racing and gaming commission created under section 99D.5.
4. "Holder of occupational license" means a person licensed by the commission to perform an occupation which the commission has identified as requiring a license to engage in within the racing industry in Iowa.
5. "Licensee" means a nonprofit corporation licensed under section 99D.9.
6. "Pari-mutuel wagering" means the system of wagering described in section 99D.11.
7. "Race", "racing", "race meeting", "track", and "racetrack" refer to dog racing and horse racing, including, but not limited to, quarterhorse, thoroughbred, and harness racing, as approved by the commission.
8. "Racetrack enclosure" means the grandstand, clubhouse, turf club or other areas of a licensed racetrack which a person may enter only upon payment of an admission fee or upon presentation of authorized credentials. "Racetrack enclosure" also means any additional areas designated by the commission.
83 Acts, ch 187, § 2; 84 Acts, ch 1265, § 1; 84 Acts, ch 1266, § 3; 89 Acts, ch 67, §23
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997