When used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Commission" means the Iowa telecommunications and technology commission established in section 8D.3.
2. "Director" means the executive director appointed pursuant to section 8D.4.
3. "Network" means the Iowa or state communications network.
4. "Private agency" means an accredited nonpublic school, a nonprofit institution of higher education eligible for tuition grants, or a hospital licensed pursuant to chapter 135B or a physician clinic to the extent provided in section 8D.13, subsection 16.
5. "Public agency" means a state agency, an institution under the control of the board of regents, the judicial department as provided in section 8D.13, subsection 17, a school corporation, a city library, a regional library as provided in chapter 256, a county library as provided in chapter 336, or a judicial district department of correctional services established in section 905.2, to the extent provided in section 8D.13, subsection 15, an agency of the federal government, or a United States post office which receives a federal grant for pilot and demonstration projects.
6. "State communications" refers to the transmission of voice, data, video, the written word or other visual signals by electronic means but does not include radio and television facilities and other educational telecommunications systems and services including narrowcast and broadcast systems under the public broadcasting division of the department of education, department of transportation distributed data processing and mobile radio network, or law enforcement communications systems.
[C71, 73, § 8A.2; C75, 77, 79, 81, § 18.133]
83 Acts, ch 126, § 4, 5; 86 Acts, ch 1245, § 308, 2049; 87 Acts, ch 211, § 1; 89 Acts, ch 319, § 31; 93 Acts, ch 48, §8; 94 Acts, ch 1184, §3, 4, 29 ~IC95, §8D.2
Referred to in § 8D.13
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997