All new and existing facilities, except dormant facilities, shall be tested and inspected in accordance with the following schedule:
1. Every new or altered facility shall be inspected and tested before the operating permit is issued.
2. Every existing facility registered with the commissioner shall be inspected within one year after the effective date of the registration, except that the commissioner may, at the commissioner's discretion, extend by rule the time specified for making inspections.
3. Every facility shall be inspected not less frequently than annually, except that the commissioner may adopt rules providing for inspections of facilities at intervals other than annually.
4. The inspections required by subsections 1 to 3 shall be made only by inspectors or special inspectors. An inspection by a special inspector may be accepted by the commissioner in lieu of a required inspection by an inspector.
5. A report of every inspection shall be filed with the commissioner by the inspector or special inspector, on a form approved by and containing all information required by the commissioner, after the inspection has been completed and within the time provided by rule, but not to exceed thirty days. The report shall include all information required by the commissioner to determine whether the owner of the facility has complied with applicable rules. For the inspection required by subsection 1, the report shall indicate whether the facility has been installed in accordance with the detailed plans and specifications approved by the commissioner, and meets the requirements of the applicable rules. The failure of a special inspector to inform the commissioner of violations shall not subject the commissioner to liability for any damages incurred.
6. In addition to the inspections required by subsections 1 to 3, the commissioner may provide by rule for additional inspections as the commissioner deems necessary to enforce the provisions of this chapter.
[C75, 77, 79, 81, § 104.6; 82 Acts, ch 1077, § 1]
C87, § 89A.6 ~I92 Acts, ch 1098, § 5
Referred to in § 89A.9, 89A.15
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997