1. An Iowa workforce development board is created, consisting of nine voting members appointed by the governor and seven ex officio nonvoting members. The ex officio nonvoting members are four legislative members; one president or the president's designee of the university of northern Iowa, the university of Iowa, or Iowa state university of science and technology, designated by the state board of regents on a rotating basis; one representative from the largest statewide public employees' organization representing state employees; and one superintendent or the superintendent's designee of a community college, appointed by the Iowa association of community college presidents. The legislative members are two state senators, one appointed by the president of the senate, after consultation with the majority leader of the senate, and one appointed by the minority leader of the senate, after consultation with the president of the senate, from their respective parties; and two state representatives, appointed by the speaker after consultation with the majority and minority leaders of the house of representatives from their respective parties. Not more than five of the voting members shall be from the same political party. Of the nine voting members, one member shall represent a nonprofit organization involved in workforce development services, four members shall represent employers, and four members shall represent nonsupervisory employees. Of the members appointed by the governor to represent nonsupervisory employees, two members shall be from statewide labor organizations, one member shall be an employee representative of a labor management council, and one member shall be a person with experience in worker training programs. The governor shall consider recommendations from statewide labor organizations for the members representing nonsupervisory employees. The governor shall appoint the nine voting members of the board for a term of four years beginning and ending as provided by section 69.19, subject to confirmation by the senate, and the governor's appointments shall include persons knowledgeable in the area of workforce development.
2. A vacancy on the board shall be filled in the same manner as regular appointments are made for the unexpired portion of the regular term.
3. The board shall meet in May of each year for the purpose of electing one of its voting members as chairperson and one of its voting members as vice chairperson. However, the chairperson and the vice chairperson shall not be from the same political party. The board shall meet at the call of the chairperson or when any five members of the board file a written request with the chairperson for a meeting. Written notice of the time and place of each meeting shall be given to each member of the board. A majority of the voting members constitutes a quorum.
4. Members of the board, the director, and other employees of the department shall be allowed their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties. All expenses shall be paid from appropriations for those purposes and the department is subject to the budget requirements of chapter 8. Each member of the board may also be eligible to receive compensation as provided in section 7E.6.
5. If a member of the board has an interest, either direct or indirect, in a contract to which the department is or is to be a party, the interest shall be disclosed to the board in writing and shall be set forth in the minutes of a meeting of the board. The member having the interest shall not participate in action by the board with respect to the contract. This subsection does not limit the right of a member of the board to acquire an interest in bonds, or limit the right of a member to have an interest in a bank or other financial institution in which the funds of the department are deposited or which is acting as trustee or paying agent under a trust indenture to which the department is a party.
96 Acts, ch 1186, §9
Referred to in § 84A.4
Confirmation, see § 2.32
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997