As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise re- quires:
1. "Protected student area" includes, but is not limited to:
a. A student's body.
b. Clothing worn or carried by a student.
c. A student's pocketbook, briefcase, duffel bag, bookbag, backpack, knapsack, or any other container used by a student for holding or carrying personal belongings of any kind and in the possession or immediate proximity of the student.
d. A school locker, desk, or other facility or space issued or assigned to, or chosen by, the student for the storage of personal belongings of any kind, which the student locks or is permitted to lock.
2. "School" means a public or nonpublic educational intitution offering any of grades kindergarten through twelve.
3. "School official" means a licensed school employee, and includes unlicensed school employees employed for security or supervision purposes.
4. "Student" means a person enrolled in a school for any of grades kindergarten through twelve.
5. "Student search rule" means a rule established by the school board of a public school, pursuant to section 279.8 or 279.9, or the authorities in charge of a nonpublic school con- trolling the manner of the searching of students or protected student areas. A student search rule, to be valid for pur- poses of this chapter, must be reasonable and shall be based upon relevant factors which include, but are not limited to, the following:
a. The seriousness of the violation for which a search may be instituted.
b. The age or ages of the students which may be searched pursuant to the rule.
c. The information or suspicion which must exist to war- rant the institution of a search.
86 Acts, ch 1129, § 1; 89 Acts, ch 265, §40; 95 Acts, ch 191, §55
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997