As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Adjudication data" means information that an adjudication of delinquency for an act which would be an aggravated misdemeanor or felony if committed by an adult was entered against a juvenile and includes the date and location of the delinquent act and the place and court of adjudication.
2. "Arrest data" means information pertaining to an arrest for a public offense and includes the charge, date, time and place. Arrest data includes arrest warrants for all public offenses outstanding and not served and includes the filing of charges, by preliminary information when filed by a peace officer or law enforcement officer or indictment, the date and place of alleged commission and county of jurisdiction.
3. "Bureau" means the department of public safety, division of criminal investigation and bureau of identification.
4. "Conviction data" means information that a person was convicted of or entered a plea of guilty to a public offense and includes the date and location of commission and place and court of conviction.
5. "Correctional data" means information pertaining to the status, location, and activities of persons under the supervision of the county sheriff, the Iowa department of corrections, the board of parole, or any other state or local agency performing the same or similar function, but does not include investigative, sociological, psychological, economic, or other subjective information maintained by the Iowa department of corrections or board of parole.
6. "Criminal history data" means any or all of the following information maintained by the department or bureau in a manual or automated data storage system and individually identified:
a. Arrest data.
b. Conviction data.
c. Disposition data.
d. Correctional data.
e. Adjudication data.
f. Custody data.
7. "Criminal investigative data" means information collected in the course of an investigation where there are reasonable grounds to suspect that specific criminal acts have been committed by a person.
8. "Criminal or juvenile justice agency" means an agency or department of any level of government or an entity wholly owned, financed, or controlled by one or more such agencies or departments which performs as its principal function the apprehension, prosecution, adjudication, incarceration, or rehabilitation of criminal or juvenile offenders.
9. "Custody data" means information pertaining to the taking into custody, pursuant to section 232.19, of a juvenile for a delinquent act which would be an aggravated misdemeanor or felony if committed by an adult, and includes the date, time, place, and facts and circumstances of the delinquent act. Custody data includes warrants for the taking into custody for all delinquent acts outstanding and not served and includes the filing of a petition pursuant to section 232.35, the date and place of the alleged delinquent act, and the county of jurisdiction.
10. "Department" means the department of public safety.
11. "Disposition data" means information pertaining to a recorded court proceeding subsequent and incidental to a public offense arrest and includes dismissal of the charge, suspension or deferral of sentence.
12. "Individually identified" means criminal history data which relates to a specific person by one or more of the following means of identification:
a. Name and alias, if any.
b. Social security number.
d. Other index cross-referenced to paragraph "a", "b", or "c."
e. Other individually identifying characteristics.
13. "Intelligence data" means information on identifiable individuals compiled in an effort to anticipate, prevent, or monitor possible criminal activity.
14. "Public offense" as used in subsections 2, 4 and 11 does not include nonindictable offenses under either chapter 321 or local traffic ordinances.
15. "Surveillance data" means information on individuals, pertaining to participation in organizations, groups, meetings or assemblies, where there are no reasonable grounds to suspect involvement or participation in criminal activity by any person.
[C75, 77, § 749B.1; C79, 81, § 692.1; 81 Acts, ch 38, § 2, 3]
83 Acts, ch 96, § 117, 159; 83 Acts, ch 113, § 1; 95 Acts, ch 191, § 28--;31
Referred to in § 80.9, 236.9, 692.17, 692A.13
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997