1. Except as provided in this subsection or chapter 504 or 504A, this chapter does not apply to or affect entities subject to chapter 504 or 504A. Such entities continue to be governed by all laws of this state applicable to them before December 31, 1989, as those laws are amended. This chapter does not derogate or limit the powers to which such entities are entitled.
2. Unless otherwise provided, this chapter does not apply to an entity subject to chapter 174, 176, 497, 498, 499, 499A, 524, 533, or 534 or a corporation organized on the mutual plan under chapter 491, or a telephone company organized as a corporation under chapter 491 qualifying pursuant to an internal revenue service letter ruling under Internal Revenue Code § 501(c)(12) as a nonprofit corporation entitled to distribute profits in a manner similar to a chapter 499 corporation, unless such entity voluntarily elects to adopt the provisions of this chapter and complies with the procedure prescribed by subsection 3 of this section.
3. The procedure for the voluntary election referred to in subsection 2 is as follows:
a. A resolution reciting that the corporation voluntarily adopts this chapter and designating the address of its initial registered office and the name of its registered agent or agents at that office and, if the name of the corporation is not in compliance with the requirements of this chapter, amending the articles of incorporation of the corporation to change the name of the corporation to one complying with the requirements of this chapter, shall be adopted by the board of directors and shareholders by the procedure prescribed by this chapter for the amendment of articles of incorporation.
b. Upon adoption of the required resolution or resolutions, an instrument shall be executed by the corporation by its president or a vice president and by its secretary or an assistant secretary and verified by one of the officers signing the instrument, which shall set forth all of the following:
(1) The name of the corporation.
(2) Each such resolution adopted by the corporation and the date of adoption of each resolution.
(3) The address of its registered office and the name of its registered agent.
c. The instrument shall be delivered to the secretary of state for filing and recording in the secretary of state's office, and shall be filed and recorded in the office of the county recorder. The corporation shall at the time it files the instrument with the secretary of state deliver also to the secretary of state for filing in the secretary of state's office any annual report which is then due.
If the county of the initial registered office as stated in the instrument is one which is other than the county where the principal place of business of the corporation, as designated in its articles of incorporation, was located, the secretary of state shall forward also to the county recorder of the county in which the principal place of business of the corporation was located a copy of the instrument and the secretary of state shall forward to the recorder of the county in which the initial registered office of the corporation is located, in addition to the original of the instrument, a copy of the articles of incorporation of the corporation together with all amendments to them as then on file in the secretary of state's office.
d. Upon the filing of the instrument by a corporation all of the following apply:
(1) All of the provisions of this chapter apply to the corporation.
(2) The secretary of state shall issue a certificate as to the filing of the instrument and deliver the certificate to the corporation or its representative.
(3) The secretary of state shall not file the instrument with respect to a corporation unless at the time of filing the corporation is validly existing and in good standing in that office under the chapter under which it is incorporated. The corporation shall be considered validly existing and in good standing for the purpose of this chapter for a period of three months following the expiration date of the corporation, provided all annual reports due have been filed and all fees due in connection with the annual reports have been paid.
e. The provisions of this chapter becoming applicable to a corporation voluntarily electing to be governed by this chapter do not affect any right accrued or established, or any liability or penalty incurred, under the chapter under which it is incorporated prior to the filing by the secretary of state in the secretary of state's office of the instrument manifesting the election by the corporation to adopt the provisions of this chapter as provided in this subsection.
4. Except as specifically provided in this chapter, this chapter applies to all domestic corporations in existence on December 31, 1989, that were incorporated under any general statute of this state providing for incorporation of corporations for profit if power to amend or repeal the statute under which the corporation was incorporated was reserved.
5. A corporation subject to this chapter which does not have a registered office or registered agent or both designated on the records of the secretary of state is subject to all of the following provisions:
a. The office of the corporation set forth in its first annual report filed under this chapter shall be deemed its registered office until December 31, 1990, or until it files a designation of registered office with the secretary of state, whichever is earlier.
b. The person signing the first annual report of the corporation filed under this chapter shall be deemed the registered agent until December 31, 1990, or a statement designating a registered agent has been filed with the secretary of state, whichever is earlier.
c. Section 490.502 does not apply to the corporation until December 31, 1990, or until the corporation files a designation of registered office and registered agent at that office with the secretary of state, whichever is earlier.
6. A corporation subject to this chapter is not subject to chapter 491, 492, 493, or 495.
89 Acts, ch 288, §182; 93 Acts, ch 126, § 9
Referred to in § 515G.3
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997