1. Notice under this chapter must be in writing unless oral notice is reasonable under the circumstances.
2. Notice may be communicated in person; by telephone, telegraph, teletype, or other form of wire or wireless communication; or by mail or private carrier. If these forms of personal notice are impracticable, notice may be communicated by a newspaper of general circulation in the area where published; or by radio, television, or other form of public broadcast communication.
3. Written notice by a domestic or foreign corporation to its shareholder, if in a comprehensible form, is effective when mailed, if mailed postpaid and correctly addressed to the shareholder's address shown in the corporation's current record of shareholders.
4. Written notice to a domestic or foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this state may be addressed to its registered agent at its registered office or to the corporation or its secretary at its principal office shown in its most recent annual report or, in the case of a foreign corporation that has not yet delivered an annual report, in its application for a certificate of authority.
5. Except as provided in subsection 3, written notice, if in a comprehensible form, is effective at the earliest of the following:
a. When received.
b. Five days after its deposit in the United States mail, as evidenced by the postmark, if mailed postpaid and correctly addressed.
c. On the date shown on the return receipt, if sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, and the receipt is signed by or on behalf of the addressee.
6. Oral notice is effective when communicated if communicated in a comprehensible manner.
7. If this chapter prescribes notice requirements for particular circumstances, those requirements govern. If articles of incorporation or bylaws prescribe notice requirements not inconsistent with this section or other provisions of this chapter, those requirements govern.
89 Acts, ch 288, §16
Referred to in § 490.140
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997