In this chapter, unless the context requires otherwise:
1. "Articles of incorporation" include amended and restated articles of incorporation and articles of merger.
2. "Authorized shares" means the shares of all classes a domestic or foreign corporation is authorized to issue.
3. "Conspicuous" means so written that a reasonable person against whom the writing is to operate should have noticed it. For example, printing in italics or boldface or contrasting color, or typing in capitals or underlined, is conspicuous.
4. "Corporation" or "domestic corporation" means a corporation for profit, which is not a foreign corporation, incorporated under or subject to this chapter.
5. "Deliver" includes mail delivery.
6. "Distribution" means a direct or indirect transfer of money or other property, except its own shares, or incurrence of indebtedness by a corporation to or for the benefit of its shareholders in respect of any of its shares. A distribution may be in the form of a declaration or payment of a dividend; a purchase, redemption, or other acquisition of shares; a distribution of indebtedness; or otherwise.
7. "Effective date of notice" is defined in section 490.141.
8. "Employee" includes an officer but not a director. A director may accept duties that make the director also an employee.
9. "Entity" includes corporation and foreign corporation; not-for-profit corporation; profit and not-for-profit unincorporated association; business trust, estate, partnership, trust, and two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest; and state, United States, and foreign government.
10. "Foreign corporation" means a corporation for profit incorporated under a law other than the law of this state.
11. "Governmental subdivision" includes authority, city, county, district, township, and other political subdivision.
12. "Includes" denotes a partial definition.
13. "Individual" includes the estate of an incompetent, a ward, or a deceased individual.
14. "Means" denotes an exhaustive definition.
15. "Notice" is defined in section 490.141.
16. "Person" means a person as defined in section 4.1.
17. "Principal office" means the office, in or out of this state, so designated in the annual report, where the principal executive offices of a domestic or foreign corporation are located.
18. "Proceeding" includes civil suit and criminal, administrative, and investigatory action.
19. "Record date" means the date established under division VI or VII on which a corporation determines the identity of its shareholders for purposes of this chapter.
20. "Secretary" means the corporate officer to whom the board of directors has delegated responsibility under section 490.840, subsection 3, for custody of the minutes of the meetings of the board of directors and of the shareholders and for authenticating records of the corporation.
21. "Share" means the unit into which the proprietary interests in a corporation are divided.
22. "Shareholder" means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation.
23. "State", when referring to a part of the United States, includes a state and commonwealth and their agencies and governmental subdivisions, and a territory and insular possession and their agencies and governmental subdivisions, of the United States.
24. "Subscriber" means a person who subscribes for shares in a corporation, whether before or after incorporation.
25. "United States" includes a district, authority, bureau, commission, department, and any other agency of the United States.
26. "Voting group" means all shares of one or more classes or series that under the articles of incorporation or this chapter are entitled to vote and be counted together collectively on a matter at a meeting of shareholders. All shares entitled by the articles of incorporation or this chapter to vote generally on the matter are for that purpose a single voting group.
89 Acts, ch 288, §15; 91 Acts, ch 211, §3
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997