A separation distance requirement provided in this part shall not apply to the following:
1. A confinement feeding operation structure which provides for the storage of manure exclusively in a dry form.
2. A confinement feeding operation structure, other than an earthen manure storage basin, if the structure is part of a confinement feeding operation which qualifies as a small animal feeding operation.
3. An animal feeding operation structure which is constructed or expanded, if the titleholder of the land benefiting from the distance separation requirement executes a written waiver with the titleholder of the land where the structure is located, under such terms and conditions that the parties negotiate. The written waiver becomes effective only upon the recording of the waiver in the office of the recorder of deeds of the county in which the benefited land is located. The filed waiver shall preclude enforcement by the state of this part as it relates to the animal feeding operation structure.
4. An animal feeding operation which is constructed or expanded within the corporate limits of a city, or the area within a separation distance required pursuant to this part, if the city approves a waiver which shall be memorialized in writing. The written waiver becomes effective only upon recording the waiver in the office of the recorder of deeds of the county in which the benefited land is located. The filed waiver shall preclude enforcement by the state of this part as it relates to the animal feeding operation structure. However, this subsection shall not affect a separation distance required between residences, educational institutions, commercial enterprises, bona fide religious institutions, or public use areas, as provided in this part.
5. An animal feeding operation structure which is located within any distance from a residence, educational institution, commercial enterprise, bona fide religious institution, city, or public use area, if the residence, educational institution, commercial enterprise, or bona fide religious institution was constructed or expanded, or the boundaries of the city or public use area were expanded, after the date that the animal feeding operation was established. The date the animal feeding operation was established is the date on which the animal feeding operation commenced operating. A change in ownership or expansion of the animal feeding operation shall not change the established date of operation.
95 Acts, ch 195, §19
Referred to in § 654C.1, 654C.5
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997