As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Anaerobic lagoon" means an impoundment used in conjunction with an animal feeding operation, if the primary function of the impoundment is to store and stabilize organic wastes, the impoundment is designed to receive wastes on a regular basis, and the impoundment's design waste loading rates provide that the predominant biological activity is anaerobic. An anaerobic lagoon does not include any of the following:
a. A confinement feeding operation structure.
b. A runoff control basin which collects and stores only precipitation-induced runoff from an animal feeding operation in which animals are confined to areas which are unroofed or partially roofed and in which no crop, vegetation, or forage growth or residue cover is maintained during the period in which animals are confined in the operation.
c. An anaerobic treatment system which includes collection and treatment facilities for all off gases.
2. "Animal" means a domesticated animal belonging to the bovine, porcine, ovine, caprine, equine, or avian species.
3. "Animal feeding operation" means a lot, yard, corral, building, or other area in which animals are confined and fed and maintained for forty-five days or more in any twelve-month period, and all structures used for the storage of manure from animals in the operation. Two or more animal feeding operations under common ownership or management are deemed to be a single animal feeding operation if they are adjacent or utilize a common system for manure storage. An animal feeding operation does not include a livestock market.
4. "Animal feeding operation structure" means an anaerobic lagoon or confinement feeding operation structure.
5. "Animal weight capacity" means the product of multiplying the maximum number of animals which the owner or operator confines in an animal feeding operation at any one time by the average weight during a production cycle.
6. "Commercial enterprise" means a building which is used as a part of a business that manufactures goods, delivers services, or sells goods or services, which is customarily and regularly used by the general public during the entire calendar year and which is connected to electric, water, and sewer systems. A commercial enterprise does not include a farm operation.
7. "Confinement building" means a building used in conjunction with a confinement feeding operation to house animals.
8. "Confinement feeding operation" means an animal feeding operation in which animals are confined to areas which are totally roofed.
9. "Confinement feeding operation structure" means a formed manure storage structure, egg washwater storage structure, earthen manure storage basin, or confinement building. A confinement feeding operation structure does not include an anaerobic lagoon.
10. "Covered" means organic or inorganic material placed upon an animal feeding operation structure used to store manure as provided by rules adopted by the department after receiving recommendations which shall be submitted to the department by the college of agriculture at Iowa state university.
11. "Earthen manure storage basin" means an earthen cavity, either covered or uncovered, which, on a regular basis, receives waste discharges from a confinement feeding operation if accumulated wastes from the basin are completely removed at least once each year.
12. "Educational institution" means a building in which an organized course of study or training is offered to students enrolled in kindergarten through grade twelve and served by local school districts, accredited or approved nonpublic schools, area education agencies, community colleges, institutions of higher education under the control of the state board of regents, and accredited independent colleges and universities.
13. "Egg washwater storage structure" means an aerobic or anaerobic structure used to store the wastewater resulting from the washing and in-shell packaging of eggs.
14. "Formed manure storage structure" means a structure, either covered or uncovered, used to store manure from a confinement feeding operation, which has walls and a floor constructed of concrete, concrete block, wood, steel, or similar materials.
15. "Livestock market" means any place where animals are assembled from two or more sources for public auction, private sale, or on a commission basis, which is under state or federal supervision, including a livestock sale barn or auction market, if such animals are kept for ten days or less.
16. "Manure" means animal excreta or other commonly associated wastes of animals, including, but not limited to, bedding, litter, or feed losses.
17. "Public use area" means that portion of land owned by the United States, the state, or a political subdivision with facilities which attract the public to congregate and remain in the area for significant periods of time, as provided by rules which shall be adopted by the department pursuant to chapter 17A.
18. "Religious institution" means a building in which an active congregation is devoted to worship.
19. "Small animal feeding operation" means an animal feeding operation which has an animal weight capacity of two hundred thousand pounds or less for animals other than bovine, or four hundred thousand pounds or less for bovine.
20. "Swine farrow-to-finish operation" means a confinement feeding operation in which porcine are produced and in which a primary portion of the phases of the production cycle are conducted at one confinement feeding operation. Phases of the production cycle include, but are not limited to, gestation, farrowing, growing, and finishing.
95 Acts, ch 195, §15
Referred to in § 204.1, 204.5, 455B.171, 654C.1, 657.11
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997