The tax imposed by this chapter shall not be collected:
1. When the entire estate of the decedent does not exceed the sum of ten thousand dollars after deducting the liabilities, as defined in this chapter.
2. When the property passes for a charitable, educational, or religious purpose as defined in sections 170(c) and 2055 of the Internal Revenue Code.
3. When the property passes to public libraries or public art galleries within this state, open to the use of the public and not operated for gain, or to hospitals within this state, or to trustees for such uses within this state, or to municipal corporations for purely public purposes.
4. Bequests for the care and maintenance of the cemetery or burial lot of the decedent or the decedent's family, and bequests not to exceed five hundred dollars in any estate of a decedent for the performance of a religious service or services by some person regularly ordained, authorized, or licensed by some religious society to perform such service, which service or services are to be performed for or in behalf of the testator or some person named in the testator's last will.
5. On the value of that portion of installment payments which will be includable as net income as defined in section 422.7 as received by a beneficiary under an annuity which was purchased under an employees pension or retirement plan.
6. On property in an individual development account in the name of the decedent that passes to another individual development account or the state human investment reserve pool created in section 541A.4. For purposes of this subsection, "individual development account" means an account that has been certified as an individual development account pursuant to chapter 541A.
[S13, § 1481-a1; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 7308; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 450.4; 81 Acts, ch 147, § 1, 19]
83 Acts, ch 177, § 3, 38; 93 Acts, ch 97, §15; 94 Acts, ch 1165, §31; 96 Acts, ch 1106, § 8
Referred to in § 541A.2
1993 amendment adding subsection 6 is effective January 1, 1994, for decedents dying on or after that date; 93 Acts, ch 97, §20
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997