1. It is unlawful for any person to engage in or transact business as a retailer within this state, unless a permit has been issued to the retailer under this section, except as provided in subsection 6. Every person desiring to engage in or conduct business as a retailer within this state shall file with the department an application for a permit. Every application for a permit shall be made upon a form prescribed by the director and shall set forth the name under which the applicant transacts or intends to transact business, the location of the applicant's place of business, and any other information as the director may require. The application shall be signed by the owner if a natural person; in the case of an association or partnership, by a member or partner; in the case of a corporation, by an executive officer or some person specifically authorized by the corporation to sign the application, to which shall be attached the written evidence of the person's authority.
2. The applicant must have a permit for each place of business. The department may deny a permit to an applicant who is substantially delinquent in paying a tax due, or the interest or penalty on the tax, administered by the department at the time of application. If the applicant is a partnership, a permit may be denied if the partner is substantially delinquent in paying any delinquent tax, penalty, or interest. If the applicant is a corporation, a permit may be denied if any officer having a substantial legal or equitable interest in the ownership of the corporation owes any delinquent tax, penalty, or interest.
3. The department shall grant and issue to each applicant a permit for each place of business within the state. A permit is not assignable and is valid only for the person in whose name it is issued and for the transaction of business at the place designated.
4. Permits issued under this division are valid and effective until revoked by the department.
5. If the holder of a permit fails to comply with any of the provisions of this division or any order or rule of the department adopted under this division or is substantially delinquent in the payment of a tax administered by the department or the interest or penalty on the tax, or if the person is a corporation and if any officer having a substantial legal or equitable interest in the ownership of the corporation owes any delinquent tax of the permit-holding corporation, or interest or penalty on the tax, administered by the department, the director may revoke the permit. The director shall send notice by mail to a permit holder informing that person of the director's intent to revoke the permit and of the permit holder's right to a hearing on the matter. If the permit holder petitions the director for a hearing on the proposed revocation, after giving ten days' notice of the time and place of the hearing in accordance with section 17A.18, subsection 3, the matter may be heard and a decision rendered. The director may restore permits after revocation. The director shall adopt rules setting forth the period of time a retailer must wait before a permit may be restored or a new permit may be issued. The waiting period shall not exceed ninety days from the date of the revocation of the permit.
6. Persons who are not regularly engaged in selling at retail and do not have a permanent place of business, but who are temporarily engaged in selling from trucks, portable roadside stands, concessionaires at state, county, district or local fairs, carnivals and the like, shall report and remit the tax on a nonpermit basis, under rules the director shall provide for the efficient collection of the sales tax.
7. The provisions of subsection 1, dealing with lawful right of a retailer to transact business, according to the context, apply to persons having receipts from rendering, furnishing, or performing services enumerated in section 422.43, except that a person holding a permit pursuant to subsection 1 shall not be required to obtain any separate sales tax permit for the purpose of engaging in business involving the services.
[C35, § 6943-f48; C39, § 6943.084; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 422.53]
83 Acts, ch 112, § 1; 86 Acts, ch 1007, § 31; 86 Acts, ch 1241, § 26; 94 Acts, ch 1165, §24; 95 Acts, ch 83, §8
Referred to in § 422.51, 422.58, 422A.1, 422B.8, 423.22
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997