1. The board shall appoint:
a. An emergency management coordinator in accordance with section 29C.10.
b. A veterans memorial commission in accordance with sections 37.9 to 37.15, when a proposition to erect a memorial building or monument has been approved by the voters.
c. A county conservation board in accordance with section 350.2, when a proposition to establish the board has been approved by the voters.
d. The members of the county board of health in accordance with section 137.4.
e. One member of the convention to elect the state fair board as provided in section 173.2, subsection 3.
f. A temporary board of community mental health center trustees in accordance with section 230A.4 when the board decides to establish a community mental health center, and members to fill vacancies in accordance with section 230A.6.
g. The members of the county cluster board in accordance with section 217.43.
h. A county commission of veteran affairs in accordance with sections 35B.3 and 35B.4.
i. A general assistance director in accordance with section 252.26.
j. A member of the functional classification board in accordance with section 306.6.
k. One or more county engineers in accordance with sections 309.17 to 309.19.
l. A weed commissioner in accordance with section 317.3.
m. A county medical examiner in accordance with section 331.801, and the board may provide facilities, deputy examiners, and other employees in accordance with that section.
n. Two members of the county compensation board in accordance with section 331.905.
o. Members of an airport zoning commission as provided in section 329.9, if the board adopts airport zoning under chapter 329.
p. Members of an airport commission in accordance with section 330.20 if a proposition to establish the commission has been approved by the voters.
q. One member of the civil service commission for deputy sheriffs in accordance with section 341A.2 or 341A.3, and the board may remove the member in accordance with those sections.
r. A temporary board of hospital trustees in accordance with sections 347.9 and 347.10 if a proposition to establish a county hospital has been approved by the voters.
s. An initial board of hospital trustees in accordance with section 347A.1 if a hospital is established under chapter 347A.
t. A county zoning commission, an administrative officer, and a board of adjustment in accordance with sections 335.8 to 335.11, if the board adopts county zoning under chapter 335.
u. A board of library trustees in accordance with sections 336.4 and 336.5, if a proposition to establish a library district has been approved by the voters, or section 336.18 if a proposition to provide library service by contract has been approved by the voters.
v. Local representatives to serve with the city development board as provided in section 368.14.
w. Members of a city planning and zoning commission and board of adjustment when a city extends its zoning powers outside the city limits, in accordance with section 414.23.
x. A list of residents eligible to serve as a compensation commission in accordance with section 6B.4, in condemnation proceedings under chapter 6B.
y. Members of the county judicial magistrate appointing commission in accordance with section 602.6503.
z. A member of the judicial district department of corrections as provided in section 905.3, subsection 1, paragraph "a".
aa. Members of a county enterprise commission or joint county enterprise commission if the commission is approved by the voters as provided in section 331.471.
ab. Other officers and agencies as required by state law.
2. If the board proposes to appoint a county surveyor, it shall appoint a person qualified in accordance with chapter 542B and provide the surveyor with a suitable book in which to record field notes and plats.
3. Except as otherwise provided by state law, a person appointed to a county office may be removed by the officer or body making the appointment, but the removal shall be by written order. The order shall give the reasons and be filed in the office of the auditor, and a copy shall be sent by certified mail to the person removed who, upon request filed with the auditor within thirty days of the date of mailing the copy, shall be granted a public hearing before the board on all issues connected with the removal. The hearing shall be held within thirty days of the date the request is filed, unless the person removed requests a later date.
4. A board or commission appointed by the board of supervisors shall notify the county auditor of the name and address of its clerk or secretary.
5. A supervisor serving on another county board or commission shall be paid only as a supervisor for a day which includes official service on both boards.
1. [S81, § 331.321(1, 2); 81 Acts, ch 117, § 320] ~I2. [C51, § 208; R60, § 418; C73, § 375; C97, § 539; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 5487; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 355.6; S81, § 331.321(3); 81 Acts, ch 117, § 320] ~I3. [C51, § 411; R60, § 642; C73, § 766; C97, § 298, 481, 491, 496, 510; S13, § 496; SS15, § 298, 481, 491, 510-b; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 5240; C46, 50, 54, 58, § 341.3; C62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 111A.2, 341.3; S81, § 331.321(4); 81 Acts, ch 117, § 320] ~I4. [S81, § 331.321(5); 81 Acts, ch 117, § 320] ~I5. [C39, § 3661.011; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 234.10; S81, § 331.321(6); 81 Acts, ch 117, § 320]
83 Acts, ch 186, § 10070, 10201; 84 Acts, ch 1067, § 35; 87 Acts, ch 227, §24; 88 Acts, ch 1161, § 12; 90 Acts, ch 1236, § 45; 92 Acts, ch 1139, § 24; 92 Acts, ch 1212, § 30; 93 Acts, ch 54, § 10; 94 Acts, ch 1173, §16
Referred to in § 350.2
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997