1. a. An area education agency shall provide or make provision for an appropriate educational program for each child living in the following types of facilities located within its boundaries:
(1) An approved or licensed shelter care home, as defined in section 232.2, subsection 34.
(2) An approved juvenile detention home, as defined in section 232.2, subsection 32.
b. The area education agency shall provide the educational program by any one of, but not limited to, the following:
(1) Providing for the enrollment of the child in the district of residence of the child, subject to the approval of the district in which the child is living.
(2) Cooperating with the district of residence of the child and obtaining the course of study and textbooks of the child for use in the special facility into which the child has been placed.
(3) Providing for the enrollment of the child in the district in which the child is living, subject to the approval of the district in which the child is living.
An area education agency shall not provide educational services to a facility specified in paragraph "a" unless the facility makes a request for educational services to the area education agency by December 1 of the school year prior to the beginning of the school year for which the services are being requested.
2. The area education agency where the child is living, the school district of residence, the other appropriate area education agency or agencies, and other appropriate agencies involved with the care or placement of the child shall cooperate with the school district where the child is living in sharing educational information, textbooks, curriculum, assignments, and materials in order to plan and to provide for the appropriate education of the child living in such facility specified in subsection 1.
87 Acts, ch 233, §483
Referred to in § 256.7, 282.31
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997