1. Actual enrollment. Actual enrollment is determined on the third Friday of September in each year and includes all of the following:
a. Resident pupils who were enrolled in public schools within the district in grades kindergarten through twelve and including prekindergarten pupils enrolled in special education programs.
b. Full-time equivalent resident pupils of high school age for which the district pays tuition to attend an Iowa community college.
c. Shared-time and part-time pupils of school age enrolled in public schools within the district, irrespective of the districts in which the pupils reside, in the proportion that the time for which they are enrolled or receive instruction for the school year is to the time that full-time pupils carrying a normal course schedule, at the same grade level, in the same school district, for the same school year, are enrolled and receive instruction. Tuition charges to the parent or guardian of a shared-time or part-time nonresident pupil shall be reduced by the amount of any increased state aid received by the district by the counting of the pupil.
d. Eleventh and twelfth grade nonresident pupils who were residents of the district during the preceding school year and are enrolled in the district until the pupils graduate. Tuition for those pupils shall not be charged by the district in which the pupils are enrolled and the requirements of section 282.18 do not apply.
e. Resident pupils receiving competent private instruction from a licensed practitioner provided through a public school district pursuant to chapter 299A shall be counted as six-tenths of one pupil.
f. Resident pupils receiving competent private instruction under dual enrollment pursuant to chapter 299A shall be counted as one-tenth of one pupil.
Pupils attending a university laboratory school are not counted in the actual enrollment of a school district, but the laboratory school shall report their enrollment directly to the department of education.
A school district shall certify its actual enrollment to the department of education by October 1 of each year, and the department shall promptly forward the information to the department of management.
The department of management shall adjust the enrollment of the school district for the audit year based upon reports filed under section 11.6, and shall further adjust the budget of the second year succeeding the audit year for the property tax and state aid portions of the reported differences in enrollments for the year succeeding the audit year.
2. Basic enrollment. Basic enrollment for a budget year is a district's actual enrollment for the base year. Basic enrollment for the base year is a district's actual enrollment for the year preceding the base year.
3. Additional enrollment because of special education. A school district shall determine its additional enrollment because of special education, as defined in this section, on December 1 of each year and shall certify its additional enrollment because of special education to the department of education by December 15 of each year, and the department shall promptly forward the information to the department of management.
For the purposes of this chapter, "additional enrollment because of special education" is determined by multiplying the weighting of each category of child under section 256B.9 times the number of children in each category totaled for all categories minus the total number of children in all categories.
4. Budget enrollment. Budget enrollment for the budget year is the basic enrollment for the budget year.
5. Weighted enrollment. Weighted enrollment is the budget enrollment plus the district's additional enrollment because of special education calculated on December 1 of the base year plus additional pupils added due to the application of the supplementary weighting.
Weighted enrollment for special education support services costs is equal to the weighted enrollment minus the additional pupils added due to the application of the supplementary weighting.
89 Acts, ch 135, § 6; 92 Acts, ch 1187, §2; 92 Acts, ch 1230, §1, 2; 92 Acts, ch 1247, §47
Referred to in § 11.6, 256B.8, 257.9, 257.10, 257.12, 257.31, 275.14, 275.33, 299A.2, 299A.8
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997