1. There is created within the state department of human services a central registry for child abuse information. The department shall organize and staff the registry and adopt rules for its operation.
2. The registry shall collect, maintain and disseminate child abuse information as provided for by this chapter.
3. The department shall maintain a toll-free telephone line, which shall be available on a twenty-four hour a day, seven-day a week basis and which the department of human services and all other persons may use to report cases of suspected child abuse and that all persons authorized by this chapter may use for obtaining child abuse information.
4. An oral report of suspected child abuse initially made to the central registry shall be immediately transmitted by the department to the appropriate county department of social services or law enforcement agency, or both.
5. The registry, upon receipt of a report of suspected child abuse, shall search the records of the registry, and if the records of the registry reveal any previous report of child abuse involving the same child or any other child in the same family, or if the records reveal any other pertinent information with respect to the same child or any other child in the same family, the appropriate office of the department of human services or law enforcement agency shall be immediately notified of that fact.
6. The central registry shall include but not be limited to report data, investigation data and disposition data.
[C75, 77, 79, 81, § 235A.14]
83 Acts, ch 96, § 157, 159
Referred to in § 232.68, 232.71A, 235A.12, 235A.13
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997