The provisions of sections 216.8 and 216.8A shall not apply to:
1. Any bona fide religious institution with respect to any qualifications it may impose based on religion, when the qualifications are related to a bona fide religious purpose unless the religious institution owns or operates property for a commercial purpose or membership in the religion is restricted on account of race, color, or national origin.
2. The rental or leasing of a dwelling in a building which contains housing accommodations for not more than two families living independently of each other, if the owner resides in one of the housing accommodations.
3. The rental or leasing of less than four rooms within a single dwelling by the occupant or owner of the dwelling, if the occupant or owner resides in the dwelling.
4. Discrimination on the basis of familial status involving dwellings provided under any state or federal program specifically designed and operated to assist elderly persons, as defined in the state or federal program that the commission determines to be consistent with determinations made by the United States secretary of housing and urban development, and housing for older persons. As used in this subsection, "housing for older persons" means housing communities consisting of dwellings intended for either of the following:
a. For eighty percent occupancy by at least one person fifty-five years of age or older per unit, and providing significant facilities and services specifically designed to meet the physical or social needs of the persons and the housing facility must publish and adhere to policies and procedures which demonstrate an intent by the owner or manager to provide housing for persons fifty-five years of age or older.
b. For and occupied solely by persons sixty-two years of age or older.
5. The rental or leasing of a housing accommodation in a building which contains housing accommodations for not more than four families living independently of each other, if the owner resides in one of the housing accommodations for which the owner qualifies for the homestead tax credit under section 425.1.
6. Discrimination on the basis of sex involving the rental, leasing, or subleasing of a dwelling within which residents of both sexes would be forced to share a living area.
The exceptions to the requirements of sections 216.8 and 216.8A provided for dwellings specified in subsections 2, 3, and 5 do not apply to advertising related to those dwellings.
[C71, § 105A.14; C73, § 601A.14; C75, 77, § 601A.11; C79, 81, § 601A.12]
89 Acts, ch 205, §3, 4; 91 Acts, ch 184, §5--;7; 92 Acts, ch 1129, §6--;9 ~IC93, § 216.12 ~I95 Acts, ch 129, §5--;7
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997