1. The extension council has for its sole purpose the dissemination of information, the giving of instruction and practical demonstrations on subjects relating to agriculture, home economics, and community and economic development, and the encouragement of the application of the information, instruction, and demonstrations to and by all persons in the extension district, and the imparting to the persons of information on those subjects through field demonstrations, publications, or other media.
2. The extension district, its council, or a member or an employee as a representative of either one or the other shall not engage in commercial or other private enterprises, legislative programs, nor attempt in any manner by the adoption of resolutions or otherwise to influence legislation, either state or national, or other activities not authorized by this chapter.
3. The extension council or a member or employee thereof as a representative of either the extension district or the extension council shall not give preferred services to any individual, group or organization or sponsor the programs of any group, organization or private agency other than as herein provided by this chapter.
4. The extension council may collect reasonable fees for specific services which require special equipment or personnel, such as soil testing services, seed testing services, or other educational services, but it shall not collect dues for or pay dues to any state or national organization or agency, nor shall it accept contributions or gifts for the extension district, or the extension council.
5. The extension council and its employed personnel may co-operate with, give information and advice to organized and unorganized groups, but shall not promote, sponsor or engage in the organization of any group for any purpose except the promoting, organization and the development of the programs of 4-H clubs. Nothing in this chapter shall prevent the county extension council or extension agents employed by it from using or seeking opportunities to reach an audience of persons interested in agricultural extension work through the help of interested farm organizations, civic organizations or any other group: Provided, that in using or seeking such opportunities, the county extension council or agents employed by it shall make available to all groups and organizations in the county equal opportunity to co-operate in the educational extension program.
6. No member of the extension council shall be paid any compensation or be reimbursed for expenses incurred in connection with or for services rendered as a member of the extension council or as an employee of the extension district or extension council.
[SS15, § 1683-e; C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 2929, 2931; C46, 50, 54, § 176.7, 176.9; C58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 176A.9]
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 839
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997