As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Law enforcement officer" means a state highway safety patrol officer, a sheriff, or other peace officer so designated by this state or by a county or municipality.
2. "Livestock" means and includes live cattle, swine, sheep, horses, ostriches, rheas, or emus, and the carcasses of such animals whether in whole or in part.
3. "Motor vehicle license" means any license or permit issued to a person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways.
4. "Owner" means a person having legal title to livestock.
5. "Transportation certificate" means the document specified in section 172B.3 and includes either the standard form prescribed by the secretary, or a substitute document the use of which has been authorized by the secretary.
6. "Transporting livestock" means being in custody of or operating a vehicle in this state, whether or not on a highway, in which are confined one or more head of livestock. Vehicle includes a truck, trailer, and other device used for the purpose of conveying objects, whether or not the device has motive power or is attached to a vehicle with motive power at the time the livestock are confined.
[C77, 79, 81, § 172B.1]
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 624; 90 Acts, ch 1230, § 1; 95 Acts, ch 43, § 6
Further definitions; see § 159.1
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997