598.23  Contempt proceedings--alternatives to jail sentence.

1.  If a person against whom a temporary order or final decree has been entered willfully disobeys the order or decree, the person may be cited and punished by the court for contempt and be committed to the county jail for a period of time not to exceed thirty days for each offense.

2.  The court may, as an alternative to punishment for contempt, make an order which, according to the subject matter of the order or decree involved, does the following:

a.  Withholds income under the terms and conditions of chapter 252D.

b.  Modifies visitation to compensate for lost visitation time or establishes joint custody for the child or transfers custody.

c.  Directs the parties to provide contact with the child through a neutral party or neutral site or center.

d.  Imposes sanctions or specific requirements or orders the parties to participate in mediation to enforce the joint custody provisions of the decree.

Section History: Early form

  [C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 10482; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, § 598.15; C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 598.23]

Section History: Recent form

  84 Acts, ch 1133, § 1; 85 Acts, ch 67, §56; 85 Acts, ch 178, §9; 88 Acts, ch 1218, §9; 97 Acts, ch 175, §196, 197

Internal References

  Referred to in § 96.3, 234.39, 598.22, 598.23A, 642.21

Previous Section 598.22B

Next Section 598.23A

Return To Home index

© 2002 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa

Comments about this site or page? webmaster@legis.iowa.gov.
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.

Last update: Thu Jan 24 10:51:05 CST 2002