1. Schedule II consists of the drugs and other substances, by whatever official name, common or usual name, chemical name, or brand name designated, listed in this section.
2. Substances, vegetable origin or chemical synthesis. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any of the following substances whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
a. Opium and opiate, and any salt, compound, derivative, or preparation of opium or opiate, excluding apomorphine, dextrophan, nalbuphine, nalmefene, naloxone, and naltrexone, and their respective salts, but including the following:
(1) Raw opium.
(2) Opium extracts.
(3) Opium fluid extracts.
(4) Powdered opium.
(5) Granulated opium.
(6) Tincture of opium.
(9) Etorphine hydrochloride.
(10) Hydrocodone, also known as dihydrocodeinone.
(11) Hydromorphone, also known as dihydromorphinone.
b. Any salt, compound, derivative or preparation thereof which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of the substances referred to in paragraph "a", subparagraph (1), except that these substances shall not include the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium.
c. Opium poppy and poppy straw.
d. Coca leaves and any salt, compound, derivative or preparation of coca leaves. Decocainized coca leaves or extractions which do not contain cocaine or ecgonine are excluded from this paragraph. The following substances and their salts, isomers and salts of isomers, if salts, isomers or salts of isomers exist under the specific chemical designation, are included in this paragraph:
e. Concentrate of poppy straw (the crude extract of poppy straw in either liquid, solid or powder form which contains the phenanthrene alkaloids of the opium poppy).
3. Opiates. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule any of the following opiates, including its isomers, esters, ethers, salts and salts of isomers, esters and ethers whenever the existence of such isomers, esters, ethers, and salts is possible within the specific chemical designation, dextrorphan and levopropoxyphene excepted:
e.Bulk dextropropoxyphene (nondosage forms).
o.Methadone-intermediate, 4-cyano-2-dimethylamino-4,4-diphenyl butane.
p.Moramide-intermediate, 2-methyl-3-morpholino-1,1-diphenylpropane-carboxylic acid.
t.Pethidine-intermediate-C, 1-methyl-4-phenylpiperidine-4-carboxylic acid.
z.Levo-alphacetylmethadol. Some other names: levo-alpha-acetylmethadol, levomethadyl acetate, LAAM.
4. Stimulants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a stimulant effect on the central nervous system:
a.Amphetamine, its salts, isomers, and salts of its isomers.
b.Methamphetamine, its salts, isomers, and salts of its isomers.
c.Phenmetrazine and its salts.
d.Methylphenidate and its salts.
5. Depressants. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances having a depressant effect on the central nervous system, including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation:
6. Immediate precursors. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances:
a. Immediate precursor to amphetamine and methamphetamine:
(1) Phenylacetone. Some trade or other names: phenyl-2-propanone; P2P; benzyl methyl ketone; methyl benzyl ketone.
b. Immediate precursors to phencyclidine (PCP):
(2) 1-piperidinocyclohexanecarbonitrile (PCC).
7. Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of the following substances:
a. Marijuana when used for medicinal purposes pursuant to rules of the board of pharmacy examiners.
b. Dronabinol (synthetic) in sesame oil and encapsulated in a soft gelatin capsule in a United States food and drug administration approved drug product. Some other names for dronabinol: (6aR-trans)-6a,7,8,10a- tetrahydro-6,6,9-trimethyl-3-pentyl-6H-dibenzo[b,d]pyran-1-ol, or (-)-delta-9-(trans)-tetrahydrocannabinol.
c. Nabilone [another name for nabilone: (+-) - trans-3- (1,1-di-methylheptyl)-6, 6a, 7, 8, 10, 10a-hexahydro-1- hydroxy-6,6-dimethyl-9H - dibenzo [b,d] pyran-9-one].
8. The board of pharmacy examiners, by rule, may except any compound, mixture, or preparation containing any stimulant listed in subsection 4 from the application of all or any part of this chapter if the compound, mixture, or preparation contains one or more active medicinal ingredients not having a stimulant effect on the central nervous system, and if the admixtures are included in such combinations, quantity, proportion, or concentration as to vitiate the potential for abuse of the substances which have a stimulant or depressant effect on the central nervous system.
[C73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 204.206; 82 Acts, ch 1044, § 3, 4]
84 Acts, ch 1013, § 9; 85 Acts, ch 86, §3, 4; 86 Acts, ch 1037, § 3-5; 87 Acts, ch 122, § 2; 90 Acts, ch 1059, § 1, 2; 91 Acts, ch 8, §3
C93, § 124.206
94 Acts, ch 1009, §9, 10
Referred to in § 124.101, 124.201, 124.202, 124.303, 321J.1
Previous Section 124.205
Next Section 124.207
© 2000 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Comments about this site or page?
Please remember that the person listed above does not vote on bills. Direct all comments concerning legislation to State Legislators.
Last update: Wed Aug 16 21:03:56 CDT 2000