1. A community builder program is established in the Iowa department of economic development. The purpose of the program is to encourage a city, cluster of cities, county, group of counties, unincorporated community or group of unincorporated communities to implement planning efforts for community, business, and economic development.
2. A city, cluster of cities, county, group of counties, unincorporated community or group of unincorporated communities which participate and receive certification under this program may be eligible for additional consideration under the following state financial assistance programs:
a. The community development block grant program.
b. The rural community 2000 program under this chapter.
c. Recycling projects under section 455D.15.
d. Revitalize Iowa's sound economy fund under chapter 315.
e. Programs administered by the Iowa finance authority under chapter 16.
f. Water, conservation, or any resource enhancement and protection program under the control of the department of natural resources.
g. The federal home investment partnerships program of the Cranston-Gonzalez National Affordable Housing Act of 1990, Pub. L. No. 101-625.
h. The new jobs and income program.
3. A department administering a program under subsection 2 shall adopt administrative rules providing bonus points of not less than five percent and not more than twenty percent of the points available under the program for certified participants under this section.
4. A city, cluster of cities, county, group of counties, unincorporated community or group of unincorporated communities not yet certified under this section but awarded a grant or initiative from the state shall initiate a process to establish a community builder program within six months of the award. The community builder program shall be completed within one year, or prior to the completion of the contract period if the contract is longer than one year. However, the program shall be completed within three years of the receipt of the award. The department administering the state financial assistance program may grant an extension if the contract period is less than three years.
5. A city, cluster of cities, county, group of counties, unincorporated community, or group of unincorporated communities shall submit a community builder program to the regional coordinating council for coordination, review, and comment and to the department for certification.
6. A community builder program shall include, but is not limited to, all of the following information:
a. A plan to improve infrastructure, cultural and fine arts resources, housing, primary health care services, and natural resources, conservation, and recreational facilities. The plan shall include a prioritization of identified needs.
b. A community database including an inventory and assessment of infrastructure, cultural and fine arts resources, housing, primary health care services, and natural resources, conservation and recreational facilities. The database shall also include an assessment of applicants' participation in a county or regional economic development plan.
c. A five-year community economic development strategic plan designed to meet the needs of the community.
d. A list of local community programs to encourage economic development including public and private financial resources, an analysis of current and potential local tax revenues, and tax abatement programs.
e. A county or regional survey of the available employment and labor force.
7. Contingent on the availability of funding for this purpose, the department may enter into a contract with service providers to provide technical assistance to a city, cluster of cities, county, group of counties, or unincorporated community, or group of unincorporated communities participating in a community builder program.
8. The department shall adopt administrative rules pursuant to chapter 17A to administer this part.
90 Acts, ch 1140, §10; 91 Acts, ch 23, §11; 92 Acts, ch 1089, § 2; 94 Acts, ch 1008, §2; 94 Acts, ch 1199, §18; 95 Acts, ch 67, § 4
Referred to in § 15.282, 15.286A, 15.327
© 1997 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Mon Jan 27 16:05:08 CST 1997