1. The state commission of libraries consists of one member appointed by the supreme court and six members appointed by the governor to serve four-year terms beginning and ending as provided in section 69.19. Of the governor's appointees, one member shall be from the medical profession and five members selected at large. Not more than three of the members appointed by the governor shall be of the same gender. The members shall be reimbursed for their actual expenditures necessitated by their official duties. Members may also be eligible for compensation as provided in section 7E.6.
2. The commission shall elect one of its members as chairperson. The commission shall meet at the time and place specified by call of the chairperson. Four members are a quorum for the transaction of business.
3. The commission shall appoint the state librarian who shall administer the division, and serve at the pleasure of the commission.
The state librarian shall do all of the following:
a. Direct and organize the activities of the division.
b. Submit a biennial report to the governor on the activities and an evaluation of the division and its programs and policies.
c. Control all property of the division. The state librarian may dispose of, through sale, conveyance, or exchange, any library materials that may be obsolete or worn out or that may no longer be needed or appropriate to the mission of the state library of Iowa. These materials may be sold by the state library directly or the library may sell the materials by consignment with an outside entity. A state library fund is created in the state treasury. Proceeds from the sale of the library materials shall be remitted to the treasurer of state and credited to the state library fund and shall be used for the purchase of books and other library materials. Notwithstanding section 8.33, any balance in the fund on June 30 of any fiscal year shall not revert to the general fund of the state.
d. Appoint and approve the technical, professional, excepting the medical librarian and the law librarian, secretarial, and clerical staff necessary to accomplish the purposes of the division subject to chapter 19A.
e. Perform other duties imposed by law.
4. The commission shall adopt rules under chapter 17A for carrying out the responsibilities of the division.
5. The commission shall receive and approve the budget and unified plan of service submitted by the division of libraries and information services.
93 Acts, ch 48, §19; 94 Acts, ch 1193, §18
© 1996 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Thu Feb 8 18:14:51 CST 1996