The clerk shall:
1. Keep the office of the clerk at the county seat.
2. Attend sessions of the district court.
3. Keep the records, papers, and seal, and record the proceedings of the district court as provided by law under the direction of the chief judge of the judicial district.
4. Upon the death of a judge or magistrate of the district court, give written notice to the department of management and the department of revenue and finance of the date of death. The clerk shall also give written notice of the death of a justice of the supreme court, a judge of the court of appeals, or a judge or magistrate of the district court who resides in the clerk's county to the state commissioner of elections, as provided in section 46.12.
5. When money in the amount of five hundred dollars or more is paid to the clerk to be paid to another person and the money is not disbursed within thirty days, notify the person who is entitled to the money or for whose account the money is paid or the attorney of record of the person. The notice shall be given by certified mail within forty days of the receipt of the money to the last known address of the person or the person's attorney and a memorandum of the notice shall be made in the proper record. If the notice is not given, the clerk and the clerk's sureties are liable for interest at the rate specified in section 535.2, subsection 1 on the money from the date of receipt to the date that the money is paid to the person entitled to it or the person's attorney.
6. On each process issued, indicate the date that it is issued, the clerk's name who issued it, and the seal of the court.
7. Upon return of an original notice to the clerk's office, enter in the appearance or combination docket information to show which parties have been served the notice and the manner and time of service.
8. When entering a lien or indexing an action affecting real estate in the clerk's office, enter the year, month, day, hour, and minute when the entry is made. The clerk shall mail a copy of a mechanic's lien to the owner of the building, land, or improvement which is charged with the lien as provided in section 572.8.
9. Enter in the appearance docket a memorandum of the date of filing of all petitions, demurrers, answers, motions, or papers of any other description in the cause. A pleading of any description is considered filed when the clerk entered the date the pleading was received on the pleading and the pleading shall not be taken from the clerk's office until the memorandum is made. The memorandum shall be made before the end of the next working day. Thereafter, when a demurrer or motion is sustained or overruled, a pleading is made or amended, or the trial of the cause, rendition of the verdict, entry of judgment, issuance of execution, or any other act is done in the progress of the cause, a similar memorandum shall be made of the action, including the date of action and the number of the book and page of the record where the entry is made. The appearance docket is an index of each suit from its commencement to its conclusion.
10. When title to real estate is finally established in a person by a judgment or decree of the district court or by decision of an appellate court or when the title to real estate is changed by judgment, decree, will, proceeding, or order in probate, certify the final decree, judgment, or decision under seal of the court to the auditor of the county in which the real estate is located.
11. Refund amounts less than one dollar only upon written application.
12. At the order of a justice of the supreme court, docket without fee any civil or criminal case transferred from a military district under martial law as provided in section 29A.45.
13. Carry out duties as a member of a nominations appeal commission as provided in section 44.7.
14. Maintain a bar admission list as provided in section 46.8.
15. Notify the county commissioner of registration and the state registrar of voters of persons seventeen and one-half years of age and older who have been convicted of a felony or who have been legally declared to be mentally incompetent.
19. Keep a book of the record of official bonds and record the official bonds of magistrates as provided in section 64.24.
20. Carry out duties relating to proceedings for the removal of a public officer as provided in sections 66.4 and 66.17.
23. Carry out duties relating to enforcing orders of the employment appeal board as provided in section 88.9, subsection 2.
24. Certify the imposition of a mulct tax against property creating a public nuisance to the auditor as provided in section 99.28.
25. Carry out duties relating to the judicial review of orders of the employment appeal board as provided in section 89A.10, subsection 2.
26. With sufficient surety, approve an appeal bond for judicial review of an order or action of the department of natural resources relating to dams and spillways as provided in section 464A.8.
27. Docket an appeal from the fence viewer's decision or order as provided in section 359A.23.
28. Certify to the recorder the fact that a judgment has been rendered upon an appeal of a fence viewer's order as provided in section 359A.24.
30. Approve bond sureties and enter in the lien index the undertakings of bonds for abatement relating to the illegal manufacture, sale, or consumption of alcoholic liquors as provided in sections 123.76, 123.79, and 123.80.
32. Carry out duties as county registrar of vital statistics as provided in chapter 144.
33. Furnish to the Iowa department of public health a certified copy of a judgment suspending or revoking a professional license as provided in section 147.66.
35. Send notice of the conviction, judgment, and sentence of a person violating the uniform controlled substances laws to the state board or officer who issued a license or registered the person to practice a profession or to conduct business as provided in section 124.412.
36. Carry out duties relating to the commitment of a mentally retarded person as provided in sections 222.37 through 222.40.
37. Keep a separate docket of proceedings of cases relating to the mentally retarded as provided in section 222.57.
38. Order the commitment of a voluntary public patient to the state psychiatric hospital under the circumstances provided in section 225.16.
39. Refer persons applying for voluntary admission to a community mental health center for a preliminary diagnostic evaluation as provided in section 225C.16, subsection 2.
41. Carry out duties relating to the involuntary commitment of mentally impaired persons as provided in chapter 229.
42. Serve as clerk of the juvenile court and carry out duties as provided in chapter 232 and article 7.
43. Submit to the director of the division of child and family services of the department of human services a duplicate of the findings of the district court related to adoptions as provided in section 235.3, subsection 7.
44. Certify to the superintendent of each correctional institution the number of days that have been credited toward completion of an inmate's sentence as provided in section 903A.5.
46. Carry out duties relating to reprieves, pardons, commutations, remission of fines and forfeitures, and restoration of citizenship as provided in sections 914.5 and 914.6.
47. Record support payments made pursuant to an order entered under chapter 252A, 252F, 598, or 600B, or under a comparable statute of a foreign jurisdiction and through setoff of a state or federal income tax refund or rebate, as if the payments were received and disbursed by the clerk; forward support payments received under section 252A.6 to the department of human services and furnish copies of orders and decrees awarding support to parties receiving welfare assistance as provided in section 252A.13.
47A. Accept a check, share draft, draft, or written order on a bank, savings and loan association, credit union, corporation, or person as payment of a support obligation which is payable to the clerk, in accordance with procedures established by the clerk to assure that such negotiable instruments will not be dishonored. The friend of court may perform the clerk's responsibilities under this subsection.
48. Carry out duties relating to the provision of medical care and treatment for indigent persons as provided in chapter 255.
49. Enter a judgment based on the transcript of an appeal to the state board of education against the party liable for payment of costs as provided in section 290.4.
50. Certify the final order of the district court upon appeal of an assessment within a secondary road assessment district to the auditor as provided in section 311.24.
50A. Assist the department of transportation in suspending, pursuant to section 321.210A, the motor vehicle licenses of persons who fail to timely pay criminal fines or penalties, surcharges, or court costs related to the violation of a law regulating the operation of a motor vehicle.
51. Forward to the department of transportation a copy of the record of each conviction or forfeiture of bail of a person charged with the violation of the laws regulating the operation of vehicles on public roads as provided in sections 321J.2 and 321.491.
52. Send to the department of transportation licenses and permits surrendered by a person convicted of being a habitual offender of traffic and motor vehicle laws as provided in section 321.559.
53. If a person fails to satisfy a judgment relating to motor vehicle financial responsibility within sixty days, forward to the director of the department of transportation a certified copy of the judgment as provided in section 321A.12.
54. Approve a bond of a surety company or a bond with at least two individual sureties owning real estate in this state as proof of financial responsibility as provided in section 321A.24.
55. Carry out duties under the Iowa motor vehicle dealers licensing Act as provided in sections 322.10 and 322.24.
56. Carry out duties relating to the enforcement of motor fuel tax laws as provided in sections 452A.66 and 452A.67.
57. Carry out duties relating to the platting of land as provided in chapter 354.
58. Upon order of the director of revenue and finance, issue a commission for the taking of depositions as provided in section 421.17, subsection 8.
58A. Assist the department of revenue and finance in setting off against debtors' income tax refunds or rebates under section 421.17, subsection 25, debts which are due, owing, and payable to the clerk of the district court as criminal fines, civil penalties, surcharges, or court costs.
59. Mail to the director of revenue and finance a copy of a court order relieving an executor or administrator from making an income tax report on an estate as provided in section 422.23.
60. With acceptable sureties, approve the bond of a petitioner for a tax appeal as provided in section 422.29, subsection 2.
61. Certify the final decision of the district court in an appeal of the tax assessments as provided in section 441.39. Costs of the appeal to be assessed against the board of review or a taxing body shall be certified to the treasurer as provided in section 441.40.
62. Certify a final order of the district court relating to the apportionment of tax receipts to the auditor as provided in section 449.7.
63. Carry out duties relating to the inheritance tax as provided in chapter 450.
64. Deposit funds held by the clerk in an approved depository as provided in section 12C.1.
65. Carry out duties relating to appeals and certification of costs relating to levee and drainage districts as provided in sections 468.86 through 468.95.
66. Carry out duties relating to the condemnation of land as provided in chapter 6B.
67. Forward civil penalties collected for violations relating to the siting of electric power generators to the treasurer of state as provided in section 476A.14, subsection 1.
68. Certify a copy of a decree of dissolution of a business corporation to the secretary of state as provided in section 490.1433.
69. With acceptable sureties, approve the bond of a petitioner filing an appeal for review of an order of the commissioner of insurance as provided in section 502.606 or 507A.7.
70. Certify a copy of a decree of dissolution of a nonprofit corporation to the secretary of state and the recorder in the county in which the corporation is located as provided in section 504A.62.
71. Carry out duties relating to the enforcement of decrees and orders of reciprocal states under the Iowa unauthorized insurers Act as provided in section 507A.11.
72. Certify copies of a decree of involuntary dissolution of a state bank to the secretary of state and the recorder of the county in which the bank is located as provided in section 524.1311, subsection 4.
73. Certify copies of a decree dissolving a credit union as provided in section 533.21, subsection 4.
74. Refuse to accept the filing of papers to institute legal action under the Iowa consumer credit code if proper venue is not adhered to as provided in section 537.5113.
75. Receive payment of money due to a person who is absent from the state if the address or location of the person is unknown as provided in section 538.5.
76. Carry out duties relating to the appointment of the department of agriculture and land stewardship as receiver for agricultural commodities on behalf of a warehouse operator whose license is suspended or revoked as provided in section 203C.3.
78. Certify an acknowledgment of a written instrument relating to real estate as provided in section 558.20.
79. Collect on behalf of, and pay to, the treasurer the fee for the transfer of real estate as provided in section 558.66.
80. With acceptable sureties, endorse a bond sufficient to settle a dispute between adjoining owners of a common wall as provided in section 563.11.
81. Carry out duties relating to cemeteries as provided in sections 566.4, 566.7, and 566.8.
82. Carry out duties relating to liens as provided in chapters 249A, 570, 571, 572, 574, 580, 581, 582, and 584.
83. Accept applications for and issue marriage licenses as provided in chapter 595.
84. Carry out duties relating to the dissolution of a marriage as provided in chapter 598.
85. Carry out duties relating to the custody of children as provided in chapter 598A.
86. Carry out duties relating to adoptions as provided in chapter 600.
87. Enter upon the clerk's records actions taken by the court at a location which is not the county seat as provided in section 602.6106.
88. Maintain a record of the name, address, and term of office of each member of the county magistrate appointing commission as provided in section 602.6501.
89. Certify to the state court administrator the names and addresses of the magistrates appointed by the county magistrate appointing commission as provided in section 602.6403.
90. Furnish an individual or centralized docket for the magistrates of the county as provided in section 602.6604.
91. Serve as an ex officio jury commissioner and notify appointive commissioners of their appointment as provided in sections 607A.9 and 607A.13.
92. Carry out duties relating to the selection of jurors as provided in chapter 607A.
93. Carry out duties relating to the revocation or suspension of an attorney's authority to practice law as provided in article 10 of this chapter.
94. File and index petitions affecting real estate as provided in sections 617.10 through 617.15.
95. Designate the newspapers in which the notices pertaining to the clerk's office shall be published as provided in section 618.7.
96. With acceptable surety, approve a bond of the plaintiff in an action for the payment of costs which may be adjudged against the plaintiff as provided in section 621.1.
97. Issue subpoenas for witnesses as provided in section 622.63.
98. Carry out duties relating to trials and judgments as provided in sections 624.8 through 624.20 and 624.37.
99. Collect jury fees and court reporter fees as required by chapter 625.
101. Carry out duties relating to executions as provided in chapter 626.
102. Carry out duties relating to the redemption of property as provided in sections 628.13, 628.18, and 628.20.
103. Record statements of expenditures made by the holder of a sheriff's sale certificate in the encumbrance book and lien index as provided in section 629.3.
104. Carry out duties relating to small claim actions as provided in chapter 631.
105. Carry out duties of the clerk of the probate court as provided in chapter 633.
105A. Provide written notice to all duly appointed guardians and conservators of their liability as provided in sections 633.633A and 633.633B.
106. Carry out duties relating to the administration of small estates as provided in sections 635.1, 635.7, 635.9, and 635.11.
107. Carry out duties relating to the attachment of property as provided in chapter 639.
108. Carry out duties relating to garnishment as provided in chapter 642.
109. With acceptable surety, approve bonds of the plaintiff desiring immediate delivery of the property in an action of replevin as provided in sections 643.7 and 643.12.
110. Carry out duties relating to the disposition of lost property as provided in chapter 644.
111. Carry out duties relating to the recovery of real property as provided in section 646.23.
112. Endorse the court's approval of a restored record as provided in section 647.3.
113. When a judgment of foreclosure is entered, file with the recorder an instrument acknowledging the foreclosure and the date of decree and upon payment of the judgment, file an instrument with the recorder acknowledging the satisfaction as provided in sections 655.4 and 655.5.
114. Carry out duties relating to the issuance of a writ of habeas corpus as provided in sections 663.9, 663.43, and 663.44.
115. Accept and docket an application for postconviction review of a conviction as provided in section 822.3.
116. Report all fines, forfeited recognizances, penalties, and forfeitures as provided in section 602.8106, subsection 4, and section 666.6.
117. Issue a warrant for the seizure of a boat or raft as provided in section 667.2.
118. Carry out duties relating to the changing of a person's name as provided in chapter 674.
119. Notify the state registrar of vital statistics of a judgment determining the paternity of a child as provided in section 600B.36.
120. Enter a judgment made by confession and issue an execution of the judgment as provided in section 676.4.
121. With acceptable surety, approve the bond of a receiver as provided in section 680.3.
122. Carry out duties relating to the assignment of property for the benefit of creditors as provided in chapter 681.
123. Carry out duties relating to the certification of surety companies and the investment of trust funds as provided in chapter 636.
124. Maintain a separate docket for petitions requesting that the record and evidence in a judicial review proceeding be closed as provided in section 692.5.
125. Furnish a disposition of each criminal complaint or information filed in the district court to the department of public safety as provided in section 692.15.
126. Carry out duties relating to the issuance of warrants to persons who fail to appear to answer citations as provided in section 805.5.
127. Provide for a traffic and scheduled violations office for the district court and service the locked collection boxes at weigh stations as provided in section 805.7.
128. Issue a summons to corporations to answer an indictment as provided in section 807.5.
129. Carry out duties relating to the disposition of seized property as provided in chapter 809.
130. Docket undertakings of bail as liens on real estate and enter them upon the lien index as provided in section 811.4.
131. Hold the amount of forfeiture and judgment of bail in the clerk's office for sixty days as provided in section 811.6.
132. Carry out duties relating to appeals from the district court as provided in chapter 814.
133. Certify costs and fees payable by the state as provided in section 815.1.
134. Notify the director of the Iowa department of corrections of the commitment of a convicted person as provided in section 901.7.
135. Carry out duties relating to deferred judgments, probations, and restitution as provided in sections 907.4 and 907.8, and chapter 910.
136. Carry out duties relating to the impaneling and proceedings of the grand jury as provided in R.Cr.P. 3, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
137. Issue subpoenas upon application of the prosecuting attorney and approval of the court as provided in R.Cr.P. 5, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
138. Issue summons or warrants to defendants as provided in R.Cr.P. 7, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
139. Carry out duties relating to the change of venue as provided in R.Cr.P. 10, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
140. Issue blank subpoenas for witnesses at the request of the defendant as provided in R.Cr.P. 14, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
141. Carry out duties relating to the entry of judgment as provided in R.Cr.P. 22, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
142. Carry out duties relating to the execution of a judgment as provided in R.Cr.P. 24, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
143. Carry out duties relating to the trial of simple misdemeanors as provided in R.Cr.P. 32 through 56, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
144. Serve notice of an order of judgment entered as provided in R.C.P. 82, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
145. If a party is ordered or permitted to plead further by the court, serve notice to attorneys of record as provided in R.C.P. 86, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
146. Maintain a motion calendar as provided in R.C.P. 117, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
147. Provide notice of a judgment, order, or decree as provided in R.C.P. 120, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
148. Issue subpoenas as provided in R.C.P. 155, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
149. Tax the costs of taking a deposition as provided in R.C.P. 157, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
150. With acceptable sureties, approve a bond filed for change of venue under R.C.P. 167, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
151. Transfer the papers relating to a case transferred to another court as provided in R.C.P. 173, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
152. Maintain a trial certificate list as provided in R.C.P. 181.1, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
154. Carry out duties relating to the impaneling of jurors as provided in R.C.P. 187 through 190, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
155. Furnish a referee, auditor, or examiner with a copy of the order of appointment as provided in R.C.P. 207, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
156. Mail notice of the filing of the referee's, auditor's, or examiner's report to the attorneys of record as provided in R.C.P. 214, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
157. Carry out duties relating to the entry of judgments as provided in R.C.P. 223, 226, 227.1, 228, and 229, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
158. Carry out duties relating to defaults and judgments on defaults as provided in R.C.P. 231, 232, and 233, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
159. Notify the attorney of record if exhibits used in a case are to be destroyed as provided in R.C.P. 253.1, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
160. Docket the request for a hearing on a sale of property as provided in R.C.P. 290, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
161. With acceptable surety, approve the bond of a citizen commencing an action of quo warranto as provided in R.C.P. 300, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
162. Carry out duties relating to the issuance of a writ of certiorari as provided in R.C.P. 306 through 319, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
163. Carry out duties relating to the issuance of an injunction as provided in R.C.P. 320 through 330, Ia. Ct. Rules, 3d ed.
164. Carry out other duties as provided by law.
83 Acts, ch 96, § 159, 160; 83 Acts, ch 186, § 9102, 10201; 85 Acts, ch 21, §45, 46; 85 Acts, ch 82, §2; 85 Acts, ch 178, §10, 11; 85 Acts, ch 195, §53; 85 Acts, ch 197, §17--;19; 85 Acts, ch 201, §3; 86 Acts, ch 1108, § 7; 86 Acts, ch 1112, § 12; 86 Acts, ch 1140, § 2; 86 Acts, ch 1120, § 40; 87 Acts, ch 41, §1; 87 Acts, ch 115, §77, 78; 87 Acts, ch 157, §3; 88 Acts, ch 1134, §102--;104; 88 Acts, ch 1158, §97; 89 Acts, ch 50, §13; 89 Acts, ch 83, §80; 89 Acts, ch 178, §6; 90 Acts, ch 1035, § 2; 90 Acts, ch 1081, § 3; 90 Acts, ch 1205, § 61; 90 Acts, ch 1236, § 52; 91 Acts, ch 86, §2; 91 Acts, ch 116, §8; 91 Acts, ch 267, §415; 92 Acts, ch 1163, §111--;114; 93 Acts, ch 70, §8, 9; 93 Acts, ch 79, §52; 93 Acts, ch 110, §7; 93 Acts, ch 180, §51; 94 Acts, ch 1046, §25; 94 Acts, ch 1124, §1; 94 Acts, ch 1169, §62; 94 Acts, ch 1173, §39
Referred to in § 598.22
© 1996 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Thu Feb 8 18:14:51 CST 1996