The director shall:
1. Manage the internal operations of the department and establish guidelines and procedures to promote the orderly and efficient administration of the department.
2. Employ personnel as necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the department, consistent with the merit system provisions of chapter 19A for nonprofessional employees. Professional staff of the department are exempt from the merit system provisions of chapter 19A.
3. Prepare a budget for the department, subject to the approval of the board, and prepare reports required by law or by the board.
4. Appoint the administrators of the divisions of the department.
5. Review and submit to the board legislative proposals necessary to maintain current state economic development and tourism laws.
6. Recommend rules to the board for the implementation of this chapter.
7. Report to the board, on at least a quarterly basis, on grants and contracts awarded by the department.
8. Seek to implement the plans approved by the board under section 15.104, subsections 1 and 2.
9. Have management authority over, prepare the budgets of, and have responsibility over the Iowa high technology council and the Iowa seed capital corporation.
10. Implement the requirements of chapter 73.
86 Acts, ch 1245, § 806; 88 Acts, ch 1158, § 1
© 1996 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Thu Feb 8 18:14:51 CST 1996