For the purpose of this and the following chapters of this subtitle, excluding chapters 152B, 152C, and 152D:
1. "Basic emergency medical care provider" means a first responder, emergency rescue technician, or emergency medical technician-ambulance as defined in subsections 3, 4 and 6.
2. "Department" shall mean the Iowa department of public health.
3. "Emergency medical technician- ambulance" means an individual trained in patient assessment, the recognition of signs and symptoms regarding illness or injury, and the use of proper procedures when rendering basic emergency medical care, pursuant to rules established by the department, and who is currently certified as an emergency medical technician-ambulance by the department.
4. "Emergency rescue technician" means an individual trained in various rescue techniques including rescue from heights and depths, extrication from automobiles, agricultural rescue, and rescue from water and special hazards, pursuant to rules established by the department, and who is currently certified as an emergency rescue technician by the department.
5. "Examining board" shall mean one of the boards appointed by the governor to give examinations to applicants for licenses.
6. "First responder" means an individual trained in patient-stabilizing techniques, through the use of initial basic emergency medical care procedures and skills prior to the arrival of an ambulance, pursuant to rules established by the department, and who is currently certified as a first responder by the department.
7. "Licensed" or "certified" when applied to a physician and surgeon, podiatrist, osteopath, osteopathic physician and surgeon, physician assistant, psychologist or associate psychologist, chiropractor, nurse, dentist, dental hygienist, optometrist, speech pathologist, audiologist, pharmacist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, practitioner of cosmetology arts and sciences, practitioner of barbering, funeral director, dietitian, marital and family therapist, mental health counselor, or social worker means a person licensed under this subtitle, excluding chapters 152B, 152C, and 152D.
8. "Peer review" means evaluation of professional services rendered by a person licensed to practice a profession.
9. "Peer review committee" means one or more persons acting in a peer review capacity who also serve as an officer, director, trustee, agent, or member of any of the following:
a. A state or local professional society of a profession for which there is peer review.
b. Any organization approved to conduct peer review by a society as designated in paragraph "a" of this subsection.
c. The medical staff of any licensed hospital.
d. An examining board.
e. The board of trustees of a licensed hospital when performing a function relating to the reporting required by section 147.135, subsection 3.
10. "Profession" means medicine and surgery, podiatry, osteopathy, osteopathic medicine and surgery, practice as a physician assistant, psychology, chiropractic, nursing, dentistry, dental hygiene, optometry, speech pathology, audiology, pharmacy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, cosmetology arts and sciences, barbering, mortuary science, marital and family therapy, mental health counseling, social work, or dietetics.
[C24, 27, 31, 35, 39, § 2438; C46, 50, 54, 58, 62, 66, 71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 147.1]
84 Acts, ch 1075, § 6; 85 Acts, ch 168, § 1; 86 Acts, ch 1211, § 13; 87 Acts, ch 91, § 6; 88 Acts, ch 1225, § 2; 89 Acts, ch 89, § 4, 5; 91 Acts, ch 229, § 1; 92 Acts, ch 1205, § 13; 94 Acts, ch 1132, §10
Referred to in § 85.61, 139B.1, 141.22A, 147.161, 321.423, 724.6
© 1996 Cornell College and League of Women Voters of Iowa
Last update: Thu Feb 8 18:14:51 CST 1996